Well it was a close one....

Comments

lmatt 6 years, 8 months ago

Ok, you people are crazy. Local contractors cost way to much compared to others. A vote to raise teachers pay? Why? The needs of kids? What, kids need new buildings to learn? Bull Sh-t!!

princess81 6 years, 8 months ago

Oh lmatt, congrats on being the first one to make a negative comment. Can't you be happy about anything? And..HELLO IT WAS ONLY A COMMENT.. Geez, relax. Why be so negative when its obvious you thrive on it. Get over it, its done. Move on. Get a life.

minnie3 6 years, 8 months ago

He just can't help himself. Either he has some serious issues, or he just likes to play us. I like to think it is the latter, and deep down he is probably a big softie.

Jason_Bourne 6 years, 8 months ago

Congrats to those who voted, this is why it's done this way. Not excited about always spending money, but it's for the long haul and good for the kids. When it's time to give the teachers more money, I'll vote yes on that one too. Thanks for taking care of our kids! JB

MoneyWatch 6 years, 8 months ago

Close it was. I want to thank all who voted for or against the bond.Both opinions and sides put up a fight, but the yes votes were more.I do also want to know, Is the board going to doze the house down on the proposed new school site ?Again thanks to the people who got the word out and drove people to vote and not just miss out.

Brian_Fantana 6 years, 8 months ago

I have been unable to locate a final vote tally -- how close was it? Also, I believe the district has said they are going to put the home up for sale to be moved from the site.

Jason_Bourne 6 years, 8 months ago

I saw something on Channel 6 and it said the Yes's were about 844 and the NO's were about 724 (Don't quote me) But I haven't seen it anywhere other than that and the District's site claiming the bond passed with 54%.

I was just wondering since it is one of the oldest homes on its original hoestead site in Eudora. Kansas Historical Society will most likley be involved and decide if it can be moved or modified.

greenman 6 years, 8 months ago

Great debate. We all live too close together to keep this between us. Harsh words have been spoken and I will confess to some of them. Eudora is growing in the right way because it is a community. Those of you who helped to build this community who may have been against this bond, you have a story to tell to all of us who are new to the area. And we will listen. Just as long as the respect is mutual. We have come here because this town offers so much to families who want what you have built. We don't want to be "Johnson County", we want to be Eudora. If we can all remember to respect the one's that have come before us, the one's who will make this town vital, and the one's who will come after us, then we will have a community second to none in all of Kansas and all of the metro area. I bet mine and my family's future on it almost four years ago. This is not the beginning, this is the continuation of what has made this town a place people want to be a part of.

God Bless.

I agree.17 years for me , and i hope many many more.

EudoraBoss 6 years, 8 months ago

How about getting behind the local contractors and INSISTING that the general contractors use our local guys for the work. I'm sure they would like the support as well.

Amen to that brother. We need the cashflow to stay local, 100% if possible.

E_Kim_Noselo 6 years, 8 months ago

Hoover and Wilson already run the show...

eudoraeyes 6 years, 8 months ago

after reading the school boards minutes, it appears that they are having Universal Construction do the work. They will more than likely bring all of their help from Kansas City. It's too bad that the school district won't insist that they use local contractors.

dbmskr 6 years, 8 months ago

I just wanted to say thank you to all who voted. We teach the kids that every vote counts during each Kid Vote program and it sure did today. Thank you for putting the needs of the kids first and passing the bond. The teachers are excited about the future and continuing the great programs we have in place along with being able to offer so many more opportunities for our students at all levels down the road. Thanks so much!

We live in a great town with a promising future!

blessedeudoran 6 years, 8 months ago

Exercising your right to vote is what makes our country a wonderful place to live. It was great to see that so many Eudorans chose to participate in this unique opportunity to make such a powerful commitment to the youth of our community. The vote was close, but I am hoping that now that the decision has been made, that we all can work together in the steps ahead. I am also hoping that we can come together as a community and use this forum in a positive way. What is posted on here is not just for Eudoran eyes to see-the world sees it-potential new Eudorans will see it. Let's work together so that everyone sees Eudora as a town that works together to improve our town by helping each other. Solve problems by going to the source of the problem first, learn to compromise-I wish we all could get our way all of the time, but that cannot be the case, and most of all, accept each other's differences. We choose to live in a wonderful place-let's continue to show that to our neighbors and our future neighbors.

Have a wonderful Wednesday-bundle up!

Thankyou 6 years, 8 months ago

Teachers seem to spend more time with my kids then I do and the knowledge they are imparting on them is invaluable and will mold them forever. Teachers are pricelss and deserve more than what they are getting that is for sure. Plus, I know a couple of my kids are the wound up kind, and they work patiently with them and make amazing progress in their skills. I wished I had the patience and skills to be an outstanding educator but God did not have that plan for me. Thank you Eudora teachers for all of your hard work.

drthyofoz70 6 years, 8 months ago

Wouldn't it be delightful if we had this big of a voter turn out on EVERY election day? Thanks to everyone who made it to the polls (even Imatt) Have a great day!

Not to be too negative but there are two questions and possible problems with the new school location 1 - less than 1000 foot from an (existing)establishment that sells alcohol. ,2 - A historic building on the land. Was this thought through before the site was picked ? This might spell trouble for the proposed location.I know first hand the paperwork is drawn up to go to the Kansas Historical Society on the homestead.I hear of a petition to protest the location due to the establishment that sells alcohol and awesome steaks. Just some info that might be handy.Myself i am through fighting anything else in this yuppyfied town ,Eudora is not Eudora anymore, but others with deep pockets are not. I wish yall the best in your battles. I will just sit back and get f----d on my tax,s . I hope all the yes voters are ready to pay tremendous tax,s on those new $200.000.00 homes out east.I also hope that they dont care that now we will for sure not get any new businesses, becuse we are more costly than Lawrence or Lenexa now to operate in. Be ready for those house payments to go up up up and up more with valuations and school tax,s .Then you tack on what the city will have to hit us with to get the infrastructure back into a good shape and updated.Thank you yes voters, we love you xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox.Your kids will love the mess you made of this great city. Planning is so easy, but not for some. Chow my forum friends. Have fun. Owh, i will have a home for sale or rent soon , heck if yuppies dont care what they spend, i,ll make lots of money from one family, might even build a few more and get lots more yuppies renting them, we can change the name to Yuppyora, has a nice ring to it.Our slogan ( We tax you high Becuse you don,t care ,we have a school for every child )Ya gotta love it.

E_Kim_Noselo 6 years, 8 months ago

Our government is soooooooooo corrupt, I just love to see where "some" of my tax money goes. I am tickled to death they now have to spend that, something that my kids can actually get some use out of VS."BlackBook" Go to those search engines lookinf for them for "Corrupt gov. spending or Cheny crook, or 911 Conspriracies, Loose Change....If that doesn't get you fire up, nothing will. All the illegal spending those crooks do. Look up sometime if you get the chance on youtube or google about "blackwater". Private thugs that are paid millions to do whatever they want over in the war. Read it for yourself. Taxes going to a new school. Oh yeah....Corrupt government spending. Nope. Tired of it and you should be too........Most would rather just not know the truth and keep feeding the machine because "it easier"....sickening. Don't complain to me buddy about a measly 40 or 50 mill when trillions and trillions is being wasted by the year you idiots. Don't you see the problem? It much, much bigger than and stupid school bond issue. My God people. Open your eyes or we'll all be blind..........

So lets keep adding to it and not change a thing! Sounds like a great plan.

"moneywatch" you are 100% correct in your post. As always, the school district didnt THINK, before they started anything.

All I see is houses for sale in my neighborhood. And it is not because the families have outgrown them. Several don't even have kids. There are 5 homes for sale within a 2 block radius. They used to be "starter" homes. You could build one ten years ago for $85,000. Now they appraise for between $140,000 and $150,000. I think people are moving out of Eudora. They are spending hundreds of dollars a month on gasoline, driving to work in Kansas City. They can't afford to live in Eudora anymore. It's sad.

"minnie3" it is true, that its cheaper to live in Kansas City compared to Eudora. I know for a fact, Overland Park has cheaper property tax than Eudora. And all those "voters" that were for the school, again, they are the families your talking about. They move in for a couple of years, then move out. They arent stuck with the taxes. Long time residents are.

dad3kids 6 years, 8 months ago

WOW i have had 5 home for sale signs go up just in my 2 block area in the last 1 1/2 days.My kids say at school lots of parents are fed up and selling out.The kids are freaking out and scared all the friends they have are moving back to Lawrence and Olathe.I was afraid this would destroy our town and now it is happening.We may even go back to Leavenworth, so much cheaper and a close knit town. If this deal would not have passed i estimated a drop of $600,00 in our house tax over the next couple of years.I called the number left by someone and talked to the appraisers office in lawrence and they said our evaluations and rates are going to skyrocket soon.I hate to leave this town but i may not have a choice raising 3 kids on my own and only making about 43 grand a year, tough to do guys.

simpsonmomm 6 years, 8 months ago

the only reason i am staying in this town is for my boys. i cant afford the increase in taxes, might have to try and find something smaller, but i doubt i will. i might have to find a second job to keep up. i will wait and see what it does in the next couple of months.

I heard today that everyone is leaving. Everyone. Gone. By this weekend, the entire town will be empty. They are ALL going back from where they came from. All of them. I heard that local realtors RAN OUT OF SIGNS!!!!!! This is bad, real bad. I saw some city guys out working tonight - they were rolling the streets up, because there won't be anyone left to use them. I heard that by Sunday we will only have roads on Church and tenth street. Everyone will have to use wheel barrows to bring there stuff up to put in the National Guard trucks that they are bringing in. I can't believe we didn't see this coming.

It's really not that amusing when you drive around town and see all of the existing homes for sale. I'm sure the folks commuting to KC aren't amused with the gas prices this morning either. Let's see, the holidays are right around the corner. I'm betting the merchants aren't going to be amused by poor sales, because no one can afford to buy any big ticket items this season. Can you spell R-E-C-E-S-S-I-O-N?

I have seen signs going up before the school bond. Although the added taxes are not going to help. This town had a growth spurt, without added businesses this town will not continue to grow. the prices in town are a lot higher than going into Lawrence. I try to keep it in town, but if i can go to Checkers and get twice the amount of food than when I go to C&S, thats what I have to do. If there were more businesses in town it would drive the prices down to make it worth keeping my money in town.

FYI, a generally agreed upon definition of recession is three consesecutive quarters of 0 or negative economic growth. The economy grew at an annualized rate of around 3.5% in the third quarter.
I don't think it's amusing when things slow down. But I realize that it is a natural part of the business cycle. Recessions usually encourage saving and drives down prices to a point when it makes sense for people to purchase larger ticket items again - including homes - which will increase production, wages, etc. and the cycle will continue. What I do find amusing is the doomsday attitude and the attempt by peoople on this forum to blame everything that is bad in the world on the school bond vote.

Did I say a word about the school bond vote? I voted yes. I'm just saying that people are leaving Eudora. Many cannot afford to live here. We are a bedroom community. The majority commute east or west for employment. There is nothing keeping them here anymore. It doesn't make sense for both parents to leave town to earn a decent living, but leave their kids in town to attend our fabulous schools.

drthyofoz70 6 years, 8 months ago

I think that depends on how important their children's education is to them. Before I moved here (13 yrs ago), I drove from Lawrence three times/day so that my kids could go to school here.

thiisiknow 6 years, 8 months ago

Greenman, I voted no and I have a clear conscience of my reasons for doing so. I find it absurd that you try to joke about our town and it shows that you are trying to interject the school bond vote into the forum. The posters who have brought up the for sale signs are not blaming it on the vote, they are just noticing that the economy is starting to hit home. Don't try to be the comic relief because we all know your agenda.You are the number 1 yes man and do a good job of selling yourself to the forum. Do us all a favor and run for a city office position if you have the answers and bring the retail here.But, on your way to the city do not forget the majority of the community might not get out and vote for a person that takes light of their plight.

thiisiknow, I'm not joking about the town. There is an individual on the forum that enjoys several different personas, if you are following me. I'm simply calling them on their BS, although, I admit, in a sarcastic way. I apologize if that offends you. Additionally, I am not trying to interject the school bond into any discussion. In fact, I was trying to point out that it was done, finished, over, time to move on, put it in the past, etc. I personally don't think it's fair to begin blaming all of our woes on it passing. That's all. Now, as far as your "our town" and "we all" comments. I'm a part of the community, too. Whether I've lived here 50 days or 50 years, I'll maintain my right to speak my mind, thank you. And finally, I'm not anyone's "yes man" for any topic. I'll tell you what, though, I'll let "you all" alone and let you get back to your little bickering, backbiting, the sky is falling and it's everyone but my fault "community" forum.
Have a quality day.

wouldn't that be a "yes woman"? Regardless I enjoy your humor and it has provided much relief to a stressful topic on every forum agenda. Please don't go...............

We need some new topics. Or maybe some deep breathing excercises. Or maybe a slice of pumpkin pie. We are boring ourselves into oblivion.

Hey, I ain't no woman. The pumpkin pie blizzards at DQ ROCK!!!!!! In fact, I'll be enjoying one later this evening.

That's the spirit!! Hey there's something going on south of Lawrence. LJWorld has breaking news that a house near Pleasnant Grove is surrounded. I'm hearing that they media is being sent to Zarco.

EudoraBoss 6 years, 8 months ago

maybe mr yesman, whoops, greenman should run for city council, him and DCCCC could get up there and fight about screwing up the city together.

btw, there will be no more building outside the existing city limits until the lawsuit that RWD #4 has filed against the city. That will no doubt be an expensive and long process.

Perhaps a nice port - something to get rid of the taste of those sour grapes.

Sterilize them all! A port sounds yummy, but what about that blizzard? My butt is getting bigger just reading!

The pumpkin pie blizzard from DQ.

A seasonal treat like no other.

My fellow americans read my lips " no more tax,s" Just like Nixon so are the days of Eudora 491. Just think of the added dollars that would have been free,d up with the old school bonds dropping off. C & S would be busy , All the downtown shops full of shoppers , lots of sales tax dollars being generated , awhhhhh it would have been grand. Mom and Dad being able to take a day off work and spend it with the kids and not worry about that one day off costing them. The hole we have dug gets deeper and deeper. One bright light though, we will have a new clusterf--- out east of town, awhhhhhh isnt it grand.It is done and over , so it is old news, but it will be the talk of the town come tax time again. The truth will be out in the open in plain simple tax increases in black and white.Some will freak out , others will bear and grin others will move others will fight it and loose in the end.The economic growth rate has been in the negative slide for 4.5 years now and soon the real drop will hit. Unemployment is on the fast upslide, building has all but stoped, all the money folks are saying recession has hit.Gas at $3.09 and to hit $3.50 in 2 weeks and we will have a new school , new field, new traffic snarels. I too think we need a new topic, like JOBS anyone needing one or that has an open one should post it so those who need one can find it and those who have a spot needing filled can find a good person to fill it.Lots of folks will need that second job to help with the new school.Anyone know of a cheap house for sale ? OWH, heck i will wait for the auctions, lots cheaper then.Tax sales are great, they allow the rich to buy cheap and the poor to get "gone" the 491 plan .

proudcitizen 6 years, 8 months ago

my 2 cents: I find it very refreshing to come here and laugh at some good healthy sarcasm. I have seen it from more than one source, but I gotta admit, greenman...you are the MAN. Amidst the doom and gloom a beacon of sillyness strikes a nice balance.
So...anyone seen the play? I'm going tonight. Might have to have to get a blizzard afterwards, IF the taxes don't blow the roof off the DQ.

eudorashome 6 years, 8 months ago

I would like to know if anyone knows the reason the school resource officer stands outside Nottingham in the morning? He stands there and talks to other teachers while people honk at each other, people get out of their cars in the wrong lane, people are speeding down elm on the wrong side of the road because they dont want to wait in the loooong line. It seems it is getting worse as the year goes on. I watched a little boy get dropped off while waiting in line back by the track today, he ran right out into traffic. The car had to slam on their brakes because they were going way to fast in the moving lane and on gravel. We need to keep our kids safe.

It's easier to socialize than to direct traffic. They begin their shifts once the sun goes down. Before that they tailgate, eat donuts and hang out at the Kwik shop.

It is suppossed to be chaotic. Just like the officer that SOMETIMES parks on Elm as school is letting out and does not do anything. Seriously, parents need to be a little more on time so they nor the kids have to rush.

It's NOT suppose to be chaotic. There is always something that comes up with little kids. I agree parents need to watch out for their children, but if there is an officer there he should help out in directing the flow of traffic. We dont pay him to chit chat we pay him to protect our children and the people in this community.

I bet a couple hundred phone calls from concerned parents and neighborhood residents, would light some fires. A lot of calls, often. To the police chief, and the superintendents office. Nothing will be done until the issue is forced.

One hundred voices is better than one. I was calling last year and seeing nothing done has lead me to conclude that they wanted the chaos.A resourse officer was also on the school grounds last year and nothing was done. I even asked the principal for a crosswalk on Elm St. He knew how much the study would cost to warrant one but obviously they did not want to spend the money on it. All this has lead me to believe they wanted the chaos.

Just like everything else in this town it will fall on deaf ears.

What they need to do is build an elementary school away from the busiest part of town.

EudoraDad 6 years, 8 months ago

i wish they would put a light in at the high school. making a left onto church is almost impossible after 7:10 in the a.m and after school. my kids tell me that if any high school drivers are caught going to the middle school to turn around and head back north,they will be ticketed.

eudorashome 6 years, 8 months ago

I do believe Marty Kobza has been working on that issue and if very close to getting something done. I was at one of the school bond meetings and he talked a lot about that problem. Again, its getting something done about it. Its the same problem after school.

Sign in to comment