Archive for Thursday, December 6, 2001

Days Gone By

December 6, 2001

7 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA NEWS

December 1994

Richard Campbell was the chairman of the Mayor's Christmas Tree Fund, an annual drive to help area families during the holiday season.

Katherine, Christopher and James Hall, triplets of Jean and Denny Hall, were home for their first Thanksgiving holiday.

They were born Oct. 5 at Overland Park Regional Medical Center and came home together Nov. 3. Two of the Hall triplets weighed close to four pounds. The third weighed in at three pounds. When they came home, James weighed five pounds and the other two tipped the scales at just over six pounds.

Mary Abel returned home after spending 17 days in the Holy Land. She went with 90 members from the Bible Study she had attended for the last 10 years in Kansas City. Fr. Pat Jerome and three other area Catholic priests also made the trip. Stopping places on the trip included Tel Aviv, Caesarea Philippi, Tiberias, Capernaum and Cana.

Blanche Pritchard celebrated her 100th birthday at Eudora Nursing Center.

Local Boy Scouts, Girls Scouts, Cub Scouts and Brownie Scouts collected over 1,000 items during the annual Scouting for Food drive.

19 years ago

FROM THE TELE-NEWS

December 1982

Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Dowding were Thanksgiving dinner guests of Mr. and Mrs. Larry Midyett, Lawrence. They were accompanied by their granddaughter, Brenda Modesitt, Fort Worth, Texas, who spent the weekend with her grandparents.

Mr. and Mrs. Howard Kohler, Siloam Springs, Ark., spent the weekend with Lucille Warmker and Kathy Zinn.

Mrs. Herb Brown was making trips to Lawrence Memorial Hospital to visit her husband, who was recuperating nicely from his illness.

Pearl Bernitz was in charge of the crafts and social hour as an activity at the Eudora Nursing Center. She also read newspapers and some of the mail to the residents.

63 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS

December 1938

The city dads were making preparations to place the Christmas tree in the center of the street near the bank building and the colored lights would be strung in the center of the two business blocks.

A number of ladies met at the home of Mrs. Ralph James in Kaw Valley and organized a Farm Bureau. Officers elected were Mrs. Ralph James, president; Mrs. Carl Gerstenberger, vice president; Mrs. Gus Koch, secretary; and Mrs. Gottlieb Nieder, treasurer.

Arch Meeder underwent a minor operation at the Lawrence hospital. His brother, Charles Meeder of Winner, S.D., was doing his farm work.

Left guard Pritchard, right tackle Estrada, right end Warmker, quarterback Zillner and fullback Love, all of Eudora, were named to the Little Six league football all-star first team. Tackle Daugherty was named to the second team and H. Trefz was named second team quarterback. Honor able mention went to center Guenther.

Officers elected for the Ladies Altar Society of Holy Family Church were Mrs. Henry Blechel, president; Mrs. George Grosdidier, vice president; Mrs. Will Stadler, secretary; and Mrs. John Schopper, treasurer.

85 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS

December 1916

C.F. Horner of Kansas City bought the Harris 291-acre farm, three miles southeast of town. The consideration was $26,000. Mr. Horner planned to use the place for fine stock.

The J.D. H. girls met with their president, Miss Adelia Ziesenis.

Albert Schopper, who had been in Nevada and several other western states, returned home. He was quite proficient at the sleight-of-hand art and put on many shows while on his western trip.

The Philathea class gave a shower for Miss Mary Fuller at the home of May Adams.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.