Archive for Thursday, December 20, 2001

Days gone by

December 20, 2001

7 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA NEWS

December 1994

Thirty-seven families received aid through the annual Mayor's Christmas Tree Fund. Included in that figure were 54 children and seven elderly residents.

Two boxes of groceries, complete with a gallon of milk and a turkey, were distributed to the area families. Children in the families received gift certificates from Coast to Coast.

Rose White was the grand prize winner of the fourth annual Eudora Chamber of Commerce lighting contest. Jack Rockhold took first prize in the city division, while Ann Tuttle and Susan Garrett tied for first place honors in the township. Second place went to Keith Rodgers and seven honorable mention awards were given to township and city residents.

Engineers, studying improvements to Winchester Road, made a second presentation to the Eudora City Council at its meeting.

John White of White Martin and Associates, summarized the report he gave council members at the November meeting. He pointed out the key elements of a February 1993 study on he road performed by Douglas County including 3,000 feet of grading and earthwork, a road designed to handle traffic traveling at 30 miles per hour, and an anticipated 24-foot wide roadway and 80-foot rights-of-way. The county proposal called for a double coat of chip and seal roadway to run from old Kansas Highway 10 to new K-10.

The report estimated the cost of improving Winchester Road, which runs wets of Eudora West Elementary School and Winchester Estates, at $307,000.

19 years ago

FROM THE TELE-NEWS

December 1982

The Eudora Board of Education voted to extend Dr. Otis LoVette's contract as superintendent for two additional years.

The Wellsville Eagles defeated the Eudora Cardinals, 57-40, in league action.

Kent Noble was high scorer for EHS with 18 points.

Maudie Couch and Mrs. W. Corbegie attended the Hesper Friends Missionary Women's Christmas salad supper at the church.

The Keota Club met at the home of Mrs. O.E. Westerhouse for a Christmas salad luncheon and to reveal secret pals.

63 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS

December 1938

The Eudora High School basketball team lost, 19-18, to Spring Hill in a Little Six conference game at Spring Hill.

Eudora led at the half by a score of 13-5. In the second half, the Spring Hill team came back and outplayed Eudora, making 14 points while Eudora was only able to score 5.

Guenther and Warmer were high scorers for Eudora with 6 points each. Warmker was forced out on fouls and was replaced at center by H. Trefz.

George Bartz, Floyd Broers and Glen Wilson received the second degree of Odd Fellowship at the organization's meeting.

Fred Schellack, who had charge of the Home Oil Company filling station for several years, had quit and gone to the farm. George Gerstenberger took charge of the station and secured Glen Wilson to drive the delivery truck. Gerstenberger had driven the truck for the past 18 years.

The Iota Phi Phi Club held a reunion and luncheon at Evans Hearth in Lawrence.

The Club was organized 25 years before at the home of Lulu Lothholz, by five girls who met at her home. Meetings were not held on a regular basis for a few years, but the girls finally decided to ask others to join them and make it a literary club, but in 1922, it was decided to change it to a bridge club. The husbands were allowed to join them the second meeting of each month.

Eudora members were Pearl Rosenau, Florence Wichman, Ann Kanzig, Lillian Fuller, Madge Rothberger, Lulu Lothholz, Evelyn Miller, Ruby Miller, Henrietta Schubert and Alma Gerstenberger.

The Community Club met at the Lotz Cafhere the members enjoyed an oyster supper and made final plans for a Friday afternoon celebration. During the evening, officers were elected as follows: Charles Gerstenberger, president; George Gerstenberger, vice president; and Ray Ogden, secretary-treasurer.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.