Archive for Thursday, February 22, 2001

Days Gone By

February 22, 2001

8 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA NEWS

February 1993

Cindy Arvidson and Krystopher Hylton were crowned Eudora High School Winter Sports Queen and King during halftime of the boys varsity game against Hyman Brand Hebrew Academy. EHS defeated their opponents, 79-40, in roundball action. Aaron Dardis led the Cards with 16 points and 10 rebounds. Sam Warren added 12 points and had 13 rebounds.

Eudora High School's wrestling team claimed the regional championship title at Rossville by scoring 168 points. Eight membersGustin Andrews, Scott Coon, Krystopher Hylton, Bryan Longacre, Matt Martin, Jay Musick, Jeremy Shockley, Bryan Longacre and Gary Steffenqualified for the state tournament in Hays.

21 years ago

FROM THE TELE-NEWS

February 1980

Construction of a 172-foot Southwestern Bell microwave tower and an equipment building, located at 10th and Ash streets, was nearly complete.

The tower was a link in a long distance telephone route being established between DeSoto and Lawrence, which was slated to go into operation in early April.

The Eudora High School girls basketball team defeated Baldwin 58-34.

Baldwin led by three points, with two minutes to go in the first half, but Eudora came back to make the score 30-27 at the buzzer.

EHS came out in the third quarter and shot in 15 unanswered goals.

Susie Rider was leading scorer for Eudora with 25 points.

Norma Lutz, Henrietta Fuller, Helen Goff and Helen Wright were hostesses to a Valentine's luncheon in the community room for the United Methodist Women. A business meeting and silent auction followed.

Afterward, Eudora U.S.D. No. 491 School Superintendent Otis LoVette spoke to the group about the proposed new high school building.

65 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS

February 1936

Harry Brecheisen purchased the Mike Heitzman farm located about one and one-half miles west of Clearfield.

School Superintendent. John Steiner parked his car on the incline north of the high school building and applied the brakes. As he started to enter the schoolhouse, one of the students told him his car had run down the hill and struck a large elm tree near the sidewalk on the west side of the schoolhouse.

The frame of the car was cracked, the front axle bent and one of the fenders was badly damaged.

Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Ziegler attended a contract bridge party at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Miller in DeSoto.

92 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS

February 1909

Harry Hagenbuch, Roy Wilson and Henry Neustifter established a duck camp on the Kaw River, two miles east of town.

Fire, discovered shortly after 10 o'clock, completely destroyed the schoolhouse at Fall Leaf, two miles north of town.

Fred Lotz, a clerk in the C. Pilla store, lost his footing on the north porch and fell to the sidewalk, a distance of about six feet. He dislocated his right shoulder and fractured his collarbone.

Dr. Robinson was ill with neuralgia.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.