Archive for Thursday, November 8, 2001

Days gone by

November 8, 2001

7 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA NEWS

November 1994

The Eudora Planning Commission approved a site plan for Broers Automotive, a general automotive repair shop.

Roger Broers, owner of the business, said he planned to construct a metal building between Eudora Air conditioning and Refrigeration and the township fire station in the Westerhouse Subdivision, just south of K-10 highway.

Two building permits were issued in October, one for a used modular home and the other for a cellular tower. Total valuation was $92,000.

Officers of the Golden Age Club were Elsie Mathia, president; Helen Sommer, vice president; Clarice Morriss, secretary; and Janice Colman, treasurer.

19 years ago

FROM THE TELE-NEWS

November 1982

Katherine Rothberger and Minnie Edelbrock assisted Douglas County Health Department nurse Elaine Houston and Social Worker Charlotte Hayes at Eudora City Hall while patrons received flu shots.

The 2W Club met at the home of Pearl Hadl for its regular monthly meeting and covered dish luncheon. Rose Cribbs joined the club.

Ladies serving on the election board at Eudora Library were Deloris Kurtz, Jeanie Rodgers, Rita Conner, Joyce Athey, Debbie Eltschinger, Hazel Farris, Sue Aber, Karin Russell and Faye Burkhardt.

Noble Grand Judy Neis conducted the meeting of Minerva Rebekah Lodge No. 146. The charter was draped for Carrie Spencer who passed away.

Officers elected were Patty Johnston, noble grand; Katherine Neis, vice grand; Madena Englebrecht, secretary; and Ethel Scott, treasurer.

63 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS

November 1938

The 1938 corn crop, which was low in acreage, but fairly high in yield, was being shucked on area farms. Reports of fair yields and quality made it about the first real crop in seven years. Prices were low, but ample feed of all kinds were boosting livestock prices at farm sales, and the beginning was seen of a return to more livestock in the area.

After a big rain, which fell the greater part of one day, a wet snow began falling the next day and continued until noon. The thermometer stood at 30 degrees and by evening most of the snow had disappeared. With the two big rains the past week and the snow fall, the ground was thoroughly soaked and the ponds and small creeks were again well-filled for stock water.

Frank Sommer and Sim Snyder were building a double garage at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Louis French, on the Sheldon farm, one mile north of the Kaw River bridge.

Delbert Mathia was clerking in the Kazmaier grocery store.

85 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS

November 1916

Eudora had entered upon an era of progressiveness. Quite a little excitement was occasioned on the streets by the report that the electric streetlights would be turned on for the first time. Hundreds of people from every part of the city were on the streets to take a look at each street light and note the expression on the faces of different persons.

Frank Greiner purchased the J.M. Leonhard property in South Eudora.

John Moody of Kaw Valley underwent a very serious operation in Kansas City. For a day or two, his condition was considered critical.

Roy Combest bought a new Ford automobile.

John Schopper, who graduated from Washington University in the spring, arrived in Eudora to spend the winter with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Schopper.

Mrs. Fred Hadle purchased the Hoelmiller property in South Eudora.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.