Archive for Thursday, April 17, 2003

Days gone by

April 17, 2003

7 years ago
April 1996
The Eudora Dairy Queen opened its doors for business in Eudora.
¢ The Golden Age Club celebrated its 50th anniversary with a covered dish dinner.
¢ The Eudora School Board approved the bid specifications for the addition at Nottingham Elementary School. The project went out for bids, and the board planned to act on them at the May meeting.
¢ Despite the precipitation that fell over Kansas earlier in the week, the statewide burning ban declared by the governor in February was still in effect.

67 years ago
April 1936
Following a light shower of rain, a miniature cyclone struck on the J.V. Weidlein farm, one mile south of town, and completely demolished the large 40 by 40 foot barn and the sheds built on the east and west sides of the building. The outhouse and a lawn swing were also demolished. The home, which stood less than 200 feet from the barn, was untouched by the terrific giant.
From the Weidlein farm, the wind seemed to rise and dipped again on the Fred Eder farm, about one-half mile northeast, and at that place, picked up a hayrack from the running gears of a wagon and carried it 100 yards or more into the pasture, where it was dropped to the ground and completely demolished.
Men in the fields and cattle in the pasture who were in line with the terrific gust of wind were almost swept off their feet. At the William Knake farm, the wind was so strong, he was unable to move and came near being trampled upon by his cattle that were on the run seeking shelter in the barn.
Before dipping at the Weidlein farm, the wind picked up a hayframe at the D.O. Cochrun farm and completely demolished it and scattered boards and other loose articles about the farm.
At the George Schubert farm, which was not in direct line of the furious wind, a door on the north porch was blown off its hinges and everything that was loose about the yard was scattered over the farm.
The terrific wind was accompanied by dust, corn stalks and anything that it was able to carry. For a few minutes, utter darkness prevailed. The terrific roar of the wind could be heard a few minutes before it struck, and people, livestock and chickens scampered for shelter. In town, the wind was not so strong, but there was a cloud of dust and dead branches of trees were blown to the ground.
¢ Everett Wallace was working in Elmer Everley's barber shop. Mr. Wallace worked at the barber trade in town several years before.

94 years ago
April 1909
The entire city was thrown into a state of sadness when the news rapidly spread announced that Leroy Wilson, son of Mr. and Mrs. E.E. Wilson, had passed away. He was 19 years, 10 months and 15 days old. He died because of typhoid fever.
¢ Albert Schultz's new residence on south C Street was making rapid headway. Frank Wade's house on C Street was also completed.
¢ The children of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Zillner had been quite sick.
¢ William Lothholz, the out-going members of the grade school board, was re-elected clerk, being the unanimous choice of the meeting.
¢ Misses Leoti Richards and Dehlia Ziesenis were Lawrence visitors.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.