Archive for Thursday, August 7, 2003

Days Gone By

August 7, 2003

7 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
August 1996
The Eudora city and township fire departments teamed up to put on an open house at the township fire station.
Other emergency personnel slated to be on hand were the Eudora Police Department and the Eudora Emergency Medical Service.
¢ Donnie Harris took first place in the tractor division at the CPA grand parade with his 1935 F-30 Farmall Sugarcane.
¢ Members of the Eudora High school class of 1956 who gathered for their 40th class reunion were Arnold Cluchey, Jim Harris, Phyllis Young, Margean Cress, Merry Webb, Nancy Leek, Virginia Hafsahl, Don Bagby, Connie Giardini, Jim Sparkes, Connie Whitten, Elda Ann Cox, Barbara Archer, Karin McKean, Shirley Williams, Lee Gilbreth and Rosalie Fulks.

32 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA ENTERPRISE
August 1971
L.A. Anderson organized a Eudora Men's Bowling League.
¢ Oscar Westerhouse grew tomatoes that weighed as much as a pound-and-a-half and measured 17 inches in diameter. He also raised prize-winning dahlias.
¢ Howard's Super Saver Little League team took first in the league. Players were Bill Slavin, John Dickerson, Don Abel, Ron Abel, Earl Brynds, William Crowe, Dickie Miller, Jim Gilroy, Rickey Lutz, Eric Rochester, Allen Hall and Teddy Ziegler.
¢ Bonnie Brunk was the new librarian for USD 491. It was also Don Laws' first year teaching social studies.

76 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
August 1927
The temperature dipped to 56 degrees.
¢ The new Ford could go from 0 to 25 miles an hour through gears in less than seven seconds.
¢ Charley Kaiser sold two Holstein calves for $51.58.
¢ Bert Daugherty caught several channel cats and an eel in the Wakarusa River.
¢ J.M. Tarlefon purchased a new electric popcorn machine.
¢ The principal of Eudora Rural High School was R.B. Church.
¢ French, Spanish and German lessons were given by Eugene Mueller at A. Lotz's real estate office.


67 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA
WEEKLY NEWS
August 1936
Charles Neustifter died at the age of 78. He had a cancerous condition caused by a hot water burn he received on his left hand about a year earlier, and kidney trouble. He underwent two operations at Providence Hospital in Kansas City since the beginning of the year.
Neustifter was one of the pioneers of Eudora. He was born in Chicago in 1858 and moved to Eudora from Illinois at the age of five with his parents. They traveled by ox team and settled on a small farm east of town, which was currently owned by Emma Lotz. Later the family built a log house on the first lot north of where the English Methodist parsonage stood in 1936.
Neustifter owned and operated a grocery and produce store on C Street for more than 30 years. Prior to that, he had been in the poultry and produce business.
¢ Genevieve Brown left with Mrs. Charles Hart and son Junior, of Kansas City, for a six-week vacation at Lake Side, Mich.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Otto Vitt and Arlene, who had been visiting in Denver for 10 days, returned to their home near Fall Leaf.
¢ Henrietta Schubert was hostess to a line party to the Dickinson Theatre in Lawrence. Guests were the Rev. and Mrs. John Patterson and children and Miss Virginia Brown.

94 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
June 1909
Lucy Kaegi won the rocking chair given away by the People's Stock Company.
¢ J.M. Leonard bought the Henry Oberholtzer house and six lots in south Eudora. The price paid was $1,325.
¢ Carl Trefz finished the school census for the district and announced 243 children of school age, a loss of 11 from the census the year before.
¢ Jacob Copp bought the J.M. Leonhard 32-acre tract about one-half mile south of town. The price paid was $4,000.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Votaw and Mr. and Mrs. Irvin Votaw and children went to Wichita to attend a family reunion at their father's home.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.