Archive for Thursday, July 17, 2003

Days gone by

July 17, 2003

7 years ago
July 1996
Greg Neis was elected school board president at the board's organizational meeting. Mark Chrislip was elected vice president. Pennie von Achen had been the Board president for four years.
¢ Members of the St. Paul Youth Group went on a work camp to La Casa de Maria y Marta in San Antonio, Texas. Those who helped improve two homes were Chad Taylor, Eric Garrett, Patrick Everley, Julie Lee, Darcie Rodgers, Jenny Tyler, Katie Hofer and leaders Gretchen Freeland, Norman Tyler, Dale Hofer, Vicky Hofer and Ruth Hughs.
¢ The city planning commission recommended conditional approval to Sprint Spectrum L.P. (limited partnership) for a use permitted upon review to construct a communications tower and antenna in Intech Business Park.
¢ Eudora residents Bob and Betty Bonebrake celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary by renewing their vows during a family reception.

65 years ago
July 1938
A crowd of 500 saw the free showing of "Stan," a show sponsored by Oscar Westerhouse, local Standard Oil Company agent, and Allen Westerhouse, Standard dealer.
¢ Sealed bids were taken for the right to run an ice cream and soda pop stand at the CPA Picnic.
¢ Potatoes were yielding between 175 and 200 bushels per acre. Growers received 60 cents to 80 cents per 100 pounds.
¢ A shampoo and wave dry cost 25 cents at Mickey's Beauty Shop.
¢ The Methodist church received $100 from an anonymous Lawrence person who had noticed the church needed redecorating.
¢ The Eudora High School library received a large group of books from the Walter Bromelsick estate.

67 years ago
July 1936
William Trefz turned 80. Relatives and friends gathered at the home of his children Mr. and Mrs. George Trefz, and celebrated the occasion with a picnic supper.
¢ Darlene, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Brecheisen of Clearfield, was bitten on the forehead by a police dog belonging to Roy Breithaupt. The dog was not believed to be mad, but Darlene was taking treatments for rabies from Dr. C.B. Johnson.
¢ Noel Griffin, who lived just west of the Hesper store building, reported the theft of 90 White Rock pullets, averaging about 3-1/2 pounds each. The same night about 25 heavy hens were stolen from the S.H. David henhouse, a short distance west of the Griffin home.
¢ The thermometer in front of the drug store registered 112 degrees at 2 p.m. one afternoon.
¢ Durlin Kindred was hurt in the Roy Canary potato field near Fall Leaf. While working on a potato sorter, a truck loaded with potatoes backed into him and cut a deep gash in his leg. He was hurried to the doctor to have the wound dressed.
¢ Dona Mae, the 15-month-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Reusch, fell from a second story window to the ground, a distance of about 15 feet, at their home in Eudora. Dona Mae, playing near a window, had unhooked the screen. The tot, while greatly frightened by the fall, suffered no apparent injuries.
¢ The Eudora Hardware Company delivered a Farmall F-20 tractor and plows to Howard Whaley.

94 years ago
July 1909
There was fear of a flood. The Kansas River and Wakarusa Creek were bank- full during the middle of the week.
¢ Will Mertz was appointed by the police commissioners of Kansas City to serve on the police force of that city.
¢ Jake and Jim Milburn, who were working in the Santa Fe shops at Topeka, visited in town.
¢ Mayor E.W. Kraus was "sporting" a $135 diamond stud.
¢ The four children of Mr. and Mrs. Vitus Simmer had whooping cough.

99 years ago
July 1904
A cow belonging to Joseph Schehrer was struck by lightning and killed.
¢ Herman and Georgie Trefz took charge of the Kansas City Star and Times circulation for Eudora.
¢ Mrs. George Lothholz entertained with progressive flinch and euchre. Lemon ice and cake were served.
¢ A.H. Griffin reported a hen egg on his farm measuring eight inches from end to end and six and one-half inches in circumference.
¢ The Wakarusa River rose eight feet following a heavy rain.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.