Archive for Thursday, June 26, 2003

Eudora history

June 26, 2003

7 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
June 1996
Eudora was preparing for its 95th celebration of the Eudora CPA Picnic.
"The Central Protective Association Lodge No. 191 was organized on Jan. 18, 1901. Some of Eudora's earliest settlers were present at the first meeting. S.J. Lawson was elected the first president. All members were men.
"The group's purpose was to protect its members and their property from horse thieves. In those days, horse thievery was a common crime.
"In May of that year, CPA members decided to gather their families for a picnic and a chance to get acquainted. The first picnic was held jointly with Kaw Valley, Blue and Grant lodges.
"Eudora began celebrating its own CPA Picnic on Aug. 16, 1906, at Alfred Durr's Grove, located across the Wakarusa River, northwest of the Santa Fe depot.
"During those early occasions, CPA families brought a basket lunch and supper and ate together. Ice cream and lemonade were sold on the grounds.
"A ferry was used to shuttle picnic-goers across the Wakarusa River. When the bridge was in good condition -- where Main Street crossed the Wakarusa -- it was used by less fortunate Eudora residents. Wealthier folks used the footbridge behind the ice plant and paid a toll of five cents for the privilege of taking this short cut. The path was lighted with coal oil lanterns hung on posts or on tree branches."
The location of the picnic was moved to the Eudora City Park in 1909 when a flood seriously damaged the Durr Grove. The annual event has taken place since then, except during war years and polio epidemics.
¢ Nottingham Elementary School first-grade teacher Linda Dick was one of 40 teachers to receive a mini-grant to finance a special activity or project. She planned to use the $250 to purchase a camera equipped with a date line, film and processing to keep track of Eudora's first-grade students.
It was the second year the Eudora teacher had received the grant award. The previous year, she purchased audio cassette players for students to use to listen to books on tape.
To be considered for the grant, Dick supplied information about how she intended to spend the money. She also described ways it would improve her existing classroom curriculum or create innovative new programming.

67 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
June 1936
Curtis Ruthrauff and Paul Hausman left for Ames, Iowa, where they were going to attend summer school at Ames College for several weeks. Eunice Hill of Hesper, and Loyce Harvey, Keith Starr, Sophia Rodewald and Raymond Nichols were students at the University of Kansas summer school session.
¢ Mrs. Guy Grimes received word from Washington that she had been appointed postmaster for Eudora and would replace Ray Ogden, whose term expired in April.
¢ Father Henry Grosdidier visited his mother, Clara Grosdidier, and brothers and sisters for a few days. Father Grosdidier had been pastor at Corning for the past three years, but had recently been transferred to Baileyville.
¢ Paul Papenhausen, who had been working for the U.P. Railroad near Manhattan for several months, was transferred to Denver.
¢ Clifford Eisele, who had bee employed by the Kansas Electric Power Company for the past six months, was now at home and planned to assist his father in the hardware business.
¢ The first wheat was harvested. It was a 20-acre tract that Herman Bohnsack planted on the Joe Vitt land in Kaw Valley the previous fall. It made a little more than 21 bushels to the acre and brought 83 cents per bushel.

94 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
June 1909
Mrs. George Thorne, who underwent an operation at Simmons' Hospital in Lawrence, was getting along nice and would be home in about 10 days.
¢ W.W. Bromelsick was building a large warehouse on the west side of the mill.
¢ Will Mertz commenced the erection of a creamery building on his lots just west of South Park. The main building was to be 20-by-24 feet, and the engine room was to be 8-by-10 feet.
¢ William Bohnsack was working in Lawrence.
¢ Miss Marie Robinson and John Robinson left for Tulsa, Okla., to visit for a short time.
¢ Louis Sommer, Anadarko, Okla., was visiting relatives and friends in the area.
¢ Misses Grace Weston, Rosa Smith, Minnie McCrea, and Fred Starr and Ben Abels were delegates to the Kansas City district Epworth League Institute and convention, which met in Lawrence.
¢ Fred Schlegel had the thumb of his right hand almost cut off while using an axe to try to take the heel off an old shoe.
¢ The wheat harvest was on. Harvey Schellack was the first to cut wheat in the vicinity.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.