Archive for Thursday, March 27, 2003

Days gone by

March 27, 2003

7 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA NEWS

March 1996

Douglas County Commissioners agreed to make the intersections at 10th Street at Main and Church streets four-way stops. County Engineer Frank Hempen said based on ongoing studies of vehicle and pedestrian volumes, neither intersection meets the standards the county uses to approve four-way stops, but the commission approved the request anyway.

  • The State of Kansas got a new slogan: "Kansas: Simply Wonderful."

It took nearly two years of surveying people around the country, showing them slogans and asking what they thought of Kansas before the new slogan emerged. The last two Kansas slogans were "The Secret's Out," which was replaced by "Wild About Kansas."

  • Nottingham Elementary School kindergarteners Michelle Smith and Conner Hartpence and third-trader Paul Smith were the school's winners in the Douglas County Emergency Management Severe Weather poster contest.
  • Lifelong Eudora resident Larry Sarlls opened HighPlains Tree Service. The business featured trimming, thinning, removal, pruning, shrub care and other services.


67 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEELY NEWS

March 1936

At a joint session of the Douglas County Commissioners and the Leavenworth County Commissioners, a settlement was made with the Constant Construction Company for the work they had done toward the repair of the bridge over the Kaw River north of Eudora.

The two counties had let a contract for the building of two spans and an approach to the bridge to Constant. The work was about half finished when an ice jam formed in the river and took out another span of the bridge. Mr. Constant was paid off and all repair work was stopped until more money could be located to finish the job. According to engineers' estimates, it would take $101,000 to rebuild the bridge and cut a new channel above the bridge to direct the main current of the river under the middle of the bridge in place of against the north bank.

  • A fire completely destroyed the large barn on the Fred Neis farm about three miles southeast of town.

Housed in the barn were 50 ewes and 35 lambs and two calves. The animals, plus 1,000 bushels of oats, five sets of harness, one good wagon, 25 tons of hay and 2,000 feet of native lumber cut last fall, were consumed by the flames. A large straw pile about 300 yards north of the barn was also burned to the ground, set on fire by flying embers.

The fire in the barn was fanned by a strong south wind and burning shingles and sparks were blown to the John Kasberger farm, almost one-half mile away, where a straw stack and hog house caught on fire from the flying embers and were completely destroyed. The Kasberger barn was in great danger, but help from the entire community was on guard and kept the barn from being consumed.

  • Felix Muller won second in oration and Margaret Ogden won fourth in the declamation contest at Washington Rural.
  • Berenice Stanley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Roger Stanley, purchased beauty parlor equipment and opened a shop in Baldwin.
  • Ray Miller, son of Mr. and Mrs. Adolph Miller, who had been in CCC service at Salmon, Idaho, was expected home because his term of enlistment had expired.


94 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS

March 1909

Willie Getker killed a wild goose.

  • A pack of hounds belonging to Fred Moll and Clyde Hughes caught a large gray wolf.
  • Vina Copp, 4, slipped and fell, causing a fracture of the right forearm.
  • Archibald, the little son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Gabriel, had been quite sick.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.