Days gone by
7 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
Al Colman, former Eudora mayor and local humanitarian, died April 24. He had cancer.
Colman was the owner of Coast to Coast Hardware in Eudora for 35 years until his retirement in 1984. Following his retirement, he worked for Orthopedic Casting Laboratories in Eudora as project manager from 1984-1995.
Colman was a city councilman from 1949-1953, mayor of Eudora from 1953-1957, and was past president and member of the Eudora Lions Club.
Among Colman's projects was the preservation of the old Holy Family Catholic Church building. He was working on the restoration of the bells at the current Catholic church. He oversaw restoration of Salem Chapel, a popular meeting place for many local clubs and organizations, and he was largely responsible for the construction of the city hall building at Seventh and Main streets.
¢ The needed parts to complete the restoration project of the bells at the Catholic church, spearheaded by Colman, arrived one week ahead of schedule and one hour before he died. City superintendent Gary Malburg, assistant city superintendent Eldon Brown and local electrician Dennis Barnhardt worked all day two days before Colman's funeral to get the bells to operate so they could be sounded for his funeral.
¢ Jason Pendleton, Eudora, took second best paper award in the graduate student category at the Kansas History Teachers Association annual meeting at the Kansas History Center in Topeka. Pendleton was a social science graduate student at Emporia State University.
67 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
The Eudora Weekly News celebrated its 50th anniversary with a special edition, printed on golden rod paper in tabloid form. The issue contained the history of Eudora, greetings from former editors, old time pictures, special articles, letters from former citizens and a business directory.
Marie Robinson Abels was publisher. Will Stadler was managing editor.
The special edition sold for 25 cents.
The first issue of The News was printed May 20, 1886, by Morris Cain, who came to Eudora from Ohio in April of the same year. He purchased a small amount of used type and a Washington hand press and opened an office in the rooms occupied by Dr. C.B. Johnson.
George Brune purchased The News from Morris Cain and until October 1905 was editor and owner. Several years before he sold the paper to Thompson and White in 1905 he moved the plant to the rooms over the grocery department of the Eudora Department Store.
After Thompson and White purchased the paper, they moved the equipment to the basement rooms of the old American House, then owned by Charles Pilla. Thompson only remained with the paper six months, selling his interest to White. Will Stadler leased the plant from Dr. White for six months and purchased the plant and owned it for several years. The subscription list numbered 645. During that time, Lizzie Koerner, Lizzie Kunkel and Kenneth Cooper were the typesetters.
In June 1910, Stadler leased the plant to Ralph Hemenway for six months and spent the time in New Mexico hunting, fishing and visiting his uncle, aunt and cousins. Stadler returned in December of that year and assumed charge of the paper again on Jan. 1, 1911. He sold it to Mrs. J.E. Copple of Lecompton on May 1, 1914. She operated the plant until March 1915, when Stadler got control and published it until November 1923 when he was appointed postmaster. He again leased it to Hemenway who had charge until April 1924 when Stadler took charge and remained at the helm until October 1928. He sold to Russell Dizmang, a man from Blue Mound. He was editor and owner until November 1934, when Marie Abels, a Eudora woman, purchased the mail right and subscription list and put Stadler in charge as managing editor.
While Thompson and White owned the paper, they had the name changed from The News to The Eudora Weekly News.
¢ City officials were J.D. Adams, mayor; Dr. C.B. Johnson, George Lothholz, Gus Ziesenis, William Zimmerman and Charles Schehrer, councilmen; A.J. Smith, police judge; and Henry Blechel, marshal and street commissioner. Township officials were O.E. Votaw, trustee; Mahlon Cox, clerk; and Henry Giertz, treasurer.
¢ Retired farmers in Eudora were Wendelin Schehrer, Amos Westerhouse, Ulrich Schlegel, James Roe, W.A. Lefmann, Sarah Hausman, Myrtle Fiegenbaum, Rebecca Fuhs, Clara Grosdidier, W.J. Hague, A.J. Koehler, H.J. Landon, Peter Neis Sr., and Mrs. Joseph Vitt.
¢ The first marriage to take place in Eudora was that of Fred Deichmann and Mrs. George Harbolt. They married in the spring of 1858. Mr. Diechmann was a merchant in Eudora for several years and later moved to Lawrence where he conducted a large meat market for many years.
¢ Bert Daugherty, a Eudora businessman, was a distant relative of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, the noted poet. Daugherty, with his sons, had been in the meat, grocery and produce business for the past 12 years. Bert's mother, Mrs. George Daugherty, was a daughter of Charles Longfellow, a second cousin of the poet.
111 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
Ed Perkins and Fred Vogl were back from the Oklahoma country. They went to secure claims.
¢ Dr. Alvin Schellack opened an office in the Haelsig building, vacated by Henry Abels.
¢ Henrietta Durr planned to begin building a four-room dwelling house on her lots on the southeast corner of Seventh and E streets, opposite her residence.
¢ Allie Darling came down from Lawrence for a visit.
¢ Carrie Abels was successful in securing the scholarship offered through the Lawrence World to the most popular young lady in Douglas County.