Days Gone By
7 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
The city of Eudora was 140 years old April 17, 1997. An article was written about the history of the town. (The second segment will run in next week's Days Gone By column).
A group of German emigrants, weary of the fast-paced Chicago life in the mid-1800s, formed a committee to seek out their dreamland. When the committee reached a Shawnee Indian school and mission near the junction of the Kaw and Wakarusa rivers, they determined it to be perfect for building a town.
They set out to strike a deal with Paschal Fish, the Shawnee chief who oversaw 1,172 acres of land patented by the U.S. government. Fish offered the location committee a little more than 774 acres on the south bank of the Wakarusa near where it joined the Kaw.
The Chicago Germans had authorized Louis Pfeifer and Charles Durr to purchase the land from Fish in order to secure a perfect title. For the price of $10,000, the purchase was made in February 1857.
Word was sent back to Chicago for the families to start packing, because a new home had been found.
On April 17, 1857, a company of 16 Germans stopped on the Fremont Trail in front of Fish's log-hewn cabin. Twelve men, four women and the couples' children came.
Eight more families soon followed. Among the group were carpenters, stone cutters, cabinetmakers, a doctor and a businessman. They joined forces to carve out a new existence and build houses to form their own town.
The travelers were greeted by rolling prairies, wildflower fields, two mighty rivers and groves of fruit trees.
The first order of business was to name the town. Chief Fish suggested using the name of his 13-year-old daughter, and the new community was christened Eudora, which was said to mean "beautiful."
(Facts were gathered from "Eudora Centennial Magazine 1957" and "Eudora Data Sheet," produced by the Kansas Department of Commerce and Housing Business Development Division).
¢ Four Vocational and Industrial Clubs of America members from Eudora High School traveled to Wichita for the annual skills competition.
Senior Daniel Broers took first in the computer-aided drafting, mechanical division, while classmate Eric Bloom was second in the same division.
Sophomore Justin Ahrens earned second in the cabinet making division. He received $75 and a portable electric sander, compliments of industry sponsors. Junior Ryan Lister also competed in the cabinet making division.
¢ Bonnie Brunk, Eudora, was seeking election as a Kansas delegate to the National Education Association Representative Assembly in Atlanta.
30 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA ENTERPRISE
Members of the advisory board of the Eudora Development corporation sold $80,000 worth of bonds toward their total local goal of $250,000, which would be used to construct and equip a 74-bed capacity nursing home facility in Eudora.
¢ Eudora city Fire Chief Pete Lawson and Roger Broers, a member of both the city and township fire departments, attended an all-day fire school in Topeka. The school dealt with fire prevention and investigation.
¢ One lost bull calf, which had been reported stolen or strayed, had been found by its owner, Donald Cashatt. The calf was only one of the seven cattle reported stolen or strayed to the Douglas County sheriff's Department.
Cashatt reported three one-week-old bull calves valued at, $350 missing from his farm about six miles southeast of Eudora. He found the lost black white-faced calf.
Otis Titus, rural Eudora, also reported that three white-face heifers and a black steer with a white face were missing from his property, about two miles east of Eudora. Each animal weighed between 350 and 450 pounds and was valued at $200 each.
¢ The Eudora Township Library Board requested the township issue bonds to finance the erection of a library building. The action was suggested by the township board and had the approval of the Eudora City officials. The expected cost for the completed building and equipment was about $50,000.
¢ Sixth-graders Scott Lickteig and Craig Rider were appointed to serve one-day positions as pages during the 1974 legislative session. The appointments were made by representatives Lloyd Buzzi, Mike Glover and John Vogel and Senator Arden Booth.
¢ Doctor Knoche entered Memorial Hospital with a high fever and a severe swelling of his thumb joint.
¢ New cheerleaders for Eudora High School were Donna Bagby, Judy Pickens, Beth Whitten, Julie Shepard, Mary Jane Abel and Joni Holloway.
¢ The clarinet choir received a I rating at the State Music Festival in Manhattan. Members of the choir were Annette Trefz, Sheryl Lawrence, Mary Jennings, Pam Hopkins, Pam Russell, Cindy Carter, Connie Russell, Kim Nitz, Kitty Parsons and Terri Bagby.
¢ Steve and Lynn Pierce, Carolyn Dodson and Floyd Ott sang "Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled" at the community-wide Good Friday service at St. Paul United Church of Christ.
¢ Betty Crocker cake mixes were two for 79 cents at Market Basket. Baker's chocolate chips were 55 cents for a 12-ounce package.
69 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
A slow, drizzling rain fell in the area. It was the first moisture to fall in four weeks.
¢ The contest teams of the typing department went to Turner to compete with other schools in the Kaw Valley League. The second-year team placed fourth, while the first-year team place fifth.
¢ George Bartz, manager for the local telephone company, attended the Kansas State Telephone convention in Topeka.
¢ Oscar Lothholz purchased a new two-door Ford V-8 sedan from the Woodard Motor Company.
77 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
Mabel Fern Trefz entered school, making eight students in the first grade.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Woodward were entertained to a mushroom dinner at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Strobel.
¢ One pound of peanut butter was 19 cents at the C. Pilla Department Store. Large cans of peaches were two for 48 cents.