Home is total loss after devastating fire
The wind didn't help calm the blaze that destroyed a rural Eudora home Tuesday.
No one was hurt in the fire that engulfed the entire mobile home, but Eudora Township Fire Chief Barry Larson said the house was a complete loss.
The fire on East 2400 Road south of Highway 458 was reported around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday. Homeowner Leslie Kindred was the only one inside the home when the fire started, Larson said. It was believed to have started in the kitchen.
Emergency crews from the Eudora Township and city fire departments and the Wakarusa Township Fire Department responded to the fire.
Jane Blocher, executive director of the Douglas County chapter of the American Red Cross, responded to the scene of the fire to assess the family's immediate needs. After speaking with the family, Blocher said the Red Cross would provide them with clothing, food and temporary shelter.
"I think they are in shock. They're upset and concerned about what to do next," Blocher said. "But, all things considered, they're handling it pretty well."