Archive for Thursday, April 28, 2005

Days Gone By

April 28, 2005

7 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
April 1998
The Eudora City council agreed to go ahead with plans to construct a new wastewater treatment plant.
John Mitchell, engineer with Burns and McDonnell, said the new plant would lay entirely within the property where the lagoons were and two aerator basins would be constructed.
The estimated cost of the plant would be about $4 million with another $600,000 for interceptor lines.
¢ Eudora Middle School hosted the league math contest. There were more than 200 students who participated in seven different test categories.
Eudora students who placed in the top 10 in their respective tests were eighth-graders Christy Wheeler, fifth place in problem solving, and Melanie Claggett, eighth in problem solving; and seventh-graders Sarah Abel, first in problem solving, seventh in geometry; and Maureen Mersmann, ninth in problem solving and 10th in probability, statistics and graphs.
¢ Cardinal senior Sherry Smith posted a time of 47.91 seconds in the 300-meter hurdles to break the meet record at the Cardinal Relays.
¢ Eudora Middle School seventh-graders Austin Roberts, Sarah Abel and Maureen Mersmann were invited to a state recognition ceremony at Emporia State University in connection with the Duke University Talent Identification Program.

15 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
April 1990
Eudora High school art teacher Gary Hinman had one of his art pieces, "Knot in the Corner," selected to be part of the corporate Woods art exhibit called "Art in the Woods."
Hinman's piece was selected from 725 works submitted, with only 72 being accepted for the show.
¢ Pam England was a recipe winner in the "Manhattan Grass and Grain" April 10 issue. Her winning recipe was one for Coca-Cola Cake.
¢ The Eudora Public Schools, Eudora Police Department and the East Central Kansas Regional Prevention Center presented "P.S.: Please Keep Us Safe," a community-school partnership for alcohol and drug prevention.
¢ The heartland EHU planted a pin oak tree at the Eudora Library in honor of Earth Day. Participating were Genny Davidson, Judy McNulty, Marlene Evinger, Gracie Hopkins and Pam Landon. They were assisted by Katie McNulty, Bryce Landon, Jesse Hopkins and Tom Davidson.

29 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA ENTERPRISE
April 1976
The high school band, under the direction of Ennis Blundon, and Oscar Broers, Eudora High School principal Gerald Anderson, Dorothy Akin, Tom Pyle and several others from Eudora participated in the Douglas County Bicentennial parade in Lawrence.
¢ Sgt. Major and Mrs. Thomas A. Jones Sr., formerly of Eudora, announced the ordination of their son, Michael David Jones, to the priesthood at St. Anne's Catholic Church in San Bernadine, Calif.
¢ Michael Jones attended the Holy Family Parochial School when the family lived in Eudora from 1956 to 1962.
¢ Helen Miner was appointed as District Aide of District No. 19, Order of the Eastern Star by Worthy Grand Matron Joan Dunn of Grand Chapter OES. There were seven Chapters in District 19. Among Miner's duties was visitation of each Chapter during her term.
¢ Donna Vasseur, Eudora, was awarded an Achievement Scholarship to Southwestern College in Winfield for the 1976-1977 academic year.

30 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA ENTERPRISE
April 1975
The United Methodist Church Kansas East Annual Conference Bishop Dixon and his cabinet announced that the Rev. Wilbur K. Zook, McLouth, would serve as the pastor to the Eudora United Methodist Church.
¢ J.C. Gilroy, son of John and Pauline Gilroy, Eudora, was selected to attend the Cadet Lawman Academy at the Kansas Highway Patrol Center in Salina.
The purpose of the program was to help young men gain knowledge regarding the training and responsibilities of law enforcement officers.
¢ Helen Pearson was the new correspondent for the Villa Eden area.
¢ E.C. Altenbernd, M.D., Eudora, was re-elected to a three-year term on the Board of Directors of the Kansas Lung Association.
¢ Winner of the Eudora Pinewood Derby were Scott Maskil, first; Albert Brynds, second; and Larry Shawbaker, third. The three Cub Scouts would represent Eudora in the first-ever Pelathe District Pinewood Derby in May.

38 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA ENTERPRISE
April 1967
The Douglas County Assessor listed the population of Eudora as 1,917, the exact figure certified to in 1966.
¢ New officers of the Hesper Community club were Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Knabe, president; and Mr. and Mrs. Orville Long, treasurer.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Delmar Alpers purchased Ira's Downtown Cafe. The Alpers also owned and operated the Starlight Tavern.

75 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
April 1930
The official census report showed Eudora city having a population of 599. The census of 1920 was 627, a loss of 28.
¢ The grade school teachers for the next year were William Rose, seventh and eighth grades; Miss Vera Hibbard, fifth and sixth grades; Miss Winnifred Stevens, of Vinland, third and fourth grades; Miss Maybelle Slavens, of Lecompton, first and second grades; and Miss Helen Jerrett, of Galena, kindergarten and music.
¢ The acreage planted to potatoes in its territory in the Kaw Valley was listed by the freight department of the Santa Fe railroad as 3,609 acres.
¢ Roy Breithaupt and Mr. McPheeters sheared 87 sheep in one day in the Fall Leaf area.
¢ Vern Milligan was delivering coal oil and gasoline in the Fall Leaf area while Howard Wellman was sick.
¢ Ted, Harvey and Raymond Brecheisen, Archie and Florin Meeder and James Bosworth enjoyed fishing and camping on the Marais des Cygnes river.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.