Archive for Thursday, July 7, 2005

Days Gone By

July 7, 2005

7 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
July 1998
The City Council gave its approval to an ordinance annexing the 112-acre tract belonging to Norbert and Margaret Grosdidier to the city. The tract was south of the high school.
¢ Eudora resident Wendy Harless won a radio contest that allowed her to be a disc jockey for one hour on the Kansas City radio station Z95.7 FM.
Harless won the contest by calling and reading news over the phone.
¢ About 500 people gathered for the grand opening of David Miller's Johnson County Headquarters.
Miller was a Republican candidate for governor. He was also the former chairman of the Kansas Republican Party.
He owns Miller Insurance Agency in Eudora and is a lifelong Eudora resident.

15 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
July 1990
Eudora patrons filed a petition to stop a resolution for a one percent budget authority, approved by the Eudora school board at its June meeting, because they feared another tax increase. Ninety-one signatures were obtained and the signed petition, 16 pages in all, was sent to the Douglas County clerk's office.
¢ St. Paul Church recognized the confirmation class of 1915. Two members, Lucie Abel and Dora Neis, had been active members for 75 years.
Eleven young people were confirmed by the Rev. Frederick Stoerher on July 4, 1915.
The confirmands were Gladys Catlin Ballas, Otto Durr, Waldo Durr, Leoti Gabriel Durr, Dora Knabe Neis, Otto Lotz, Lucy Maul Abel, Leona Thorne, Zena Ziegler Bartz, Hilda Ziesenis Kidd and William Wickman.
¢ Freeman West, a member of the Kansas University men's basketball team, was a guest at the Cardinal Shooting Clinic at Eudora High School.

29 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA ENTERPRISE
June 1976
¢ The Rev. Eldon Schmidt, pastor of St. Paul United Church of Christ, resigned after four years of service.
He and his wife, Ann, and their daughter, Christina, moved to the Blue Ridge area where the pastor went to work at the Midwest Christian Counseling Center in Kansas City, and attended school at the University of Kansas Medical Center to work toward a master's degree in counseling.

30 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA ENTERPRISE
June 1975
The valuation for Eudora and the Eudora Township increased along with the total valuation of Douglas County.
The city's valuation was listed as $2,885,224, up from the 1974 valuation figure of $2,736,221, which was used to determine the 1975 taxes.
Eudora Township's new valuation was $3,622,811, an increase over the 1974 figure of $3,497,960. Douglas County's valuation was $158,292,400.
¢ The Rev. Wilbur Zook assumed the pastorate at the Eudora United Methodist Church.
¢ Sister Mary Dolorosa and Sister Mary Marcella of the Carmelite Monastery in St. Louis celebrated their silver jubilee at a Concelebrated Mass of Thanksgiving in the Carmelite Chapel.
The twin sisters attended Holy Family Catholic Church and School in Eudora and graduated from Eudora High School. They received nurses training at St. Margaret Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., where they also served as nurses before and after they earned their bachelor
s degrees from a hospital in St. Louis.
Sister Dolorosa entered Carmelite Monastery in January 1949 and Sister Marcella entered the convent in November 1949. Although Sister Dolorosa could have celebrated her silver jubilee in January, she chose to wait until after Sister Marcella had been in the convent for 25 years. They wanted to hold the special observance during the summer so family and friends could attend.
¢ Lineman Chuck Lynn, a Eudora city employee, was pictured on the front page of the newspaper in a bucket truck. He was working to shift the electricity from the older feeder line to the larger line that extended south to 17th Street. The new line, located in the alley between Birch and Ash streets, was to provide an increased amount of electricity and was designed to feed to the west side of town. Lynn was assisted by groundsman Scott Hunter, also a city employee.
¢ John Darr, Eudora, accepted an industrial arts teaching position at Baldwin. Darr had taught in Eudora for five years as an industrial arts teacher in both the junior high and senior high schools.
¢ The Eudora Rockets, the high school girls' softball team that played in the Lawrence slo-pitch league, improved its season record to 4-0 with the trouncing of the Farmer's Daughters, 18-3, in three innings of play.
Kim Schehrer scored three runs, two of which were homers. Other runs were made by Vicki Schehrer, three; Mary Lou Strong, Stacy Massey, Holly Reusch and Kathy Mason, all with two; and Annette Trefz, Debbie Yarnell, Terri Bagby and Sherry Smith, each with one.
Sherry Smith was the winning pitcher in the game.
The girls were coached by Leland Massey and assisted by Ken Massey.

39 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA ENTERPRISE
June 1966
Mr. and Mrs. D.E. Kerr both retired from their teaching positions at the end of the school term. Mr. Kerr had been superintendent of the Eudora High School for the past 24 years. Mrs. Kerr had been an elementary teacher for 21 years.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Verle Hart, Eudora, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
¢ Danny Abel gave a talk on his baby beef at the 4-H meeting. Carol Neis talked on keeping time in music, and Bruce Neis gave a conservation talk on different kinds of farming.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Arden Ott and Mr. and Mrs. Gary Ott accompanied their son and brother, Larry, to the Kansas City airport, where he left for San Diego. He was assigned to the SS Kitty Hawk. He completed Air Ordnance School as an honored student at Jacksonville, Fla.

71 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
July 1934
Aileen Ziesenis of Lawrence spent the week with her cousin, Kathryn Zimmerman.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Klopfenstein left by bus for Oklahoma City, where they intended to make their home.
¢ The Weaver neighbors enjoyed an ice cream social at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Neis. There were 50 people present to enjoy the evening.
¢ John Moody installed an electric fan in his cow barn.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.