Archive for Thursday, July 21, 2005

Days Gone By

July 21, 2005

7 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
July 1998
The City of Eudora was gearing up for its 97th annual CPA Picnic.
The Central Protective Association Lodge No. 191 was organized Jan. 18, 1901. Some of Eudora's earliest settlers were present at the first meeting. S.J. Lawson was elected the first president. All members were men.
The group's purpose was to protect its members and their property from horse thieves. In those days, horse thievery was a common crime.
In May of that year, CPA members decided to gather their families for a picnic and a chance to get acquainted. The first picnic took place jointly with Kaw Valley, Blue and Grant lodges.
Eudora began celebrating its own CPA Picnic on Aug. 15, 1906 at Alfred Durr's Grove, across the Wakarusa River, northwest of the Santa Fe Depot. The picnic was moved to the city park in 1909.
¢ Eudora High School senior Justin Ahrens placed 13th in the Vocational and Industrial Clubs of America national woodworking competition in Kansas City, Mo. Ahrens constructed an end table during the nine-hour competition.

15 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
July 1990
The Eudora school board voted to tear down the condemned 1918 three-story high school building as a result of a ruling from the state fire marshal. They also voted to proceed with a plan to install mobile classrooms for the 1990-1991 school year, and to look into a bond issue.
¢ Dr. Leo E. Lauber, founder of OCL, Inc., was honored with an appreciation dinner and party for his First Annual Retirement Bash.
¢ John Durkin, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Durkin, Eudora, resigned his position as district manager for Frito Lay, and returned to school at Missouri Western in St. Joseph, Mo., as a junior.
Durkin, a 1968 Eudora High School graduate, was named to the Dean's Honor Roll.
¢ Amanda Springer, 8, was named First Princess at the Third Annual Kansas' Favorite Pre-Teen Pageant.
¢ The planning committee from the Eudora Area Historical Society for the July 11 Special Historical Edition of The Eudora News was composed of chairperson Fern Long, Arlene Lawson, Lois Neis, Deloris Kurtz, Phyllis Young, Paul Sommer and Bill and Bertha Nichols.
Headlines of the special issue included "CPA Picnic First Celebrated in 1901;" "Charles Pilla House on National Register of Historic Places;" "Early Eudora Mayors;" "Clocks Turned Back 100 Years for 1961 Centennial Celebration;" "War Memorabilia Displayed at Library;"
"Eudora Founded in 1857 by Group of German Immigrants;" "Eudora Golden Agers Club Formed in 1966;" "Local Items From Eudora's Past;" "Early Days of Farming;" "Ethnic Groups History;"
"History of Adeline School District No. 65;" "Educational Growth;" "History of Eudora Public Library;" "1st Phone System Started in 1901;" "Eudora Newspaper Born in 1886;" "Sad Years Bring Hardships, Growth in Faith;" "History of Eudora Golden Agers Bus Fund;" "The Eudora 1900 and Now Club;" and "Clearview City History."

30 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA ENTERPRISE
July 1975
Because of additional operating expenses, Eudora USD No. 491 was going to appear before the State of Kansas Board of Tax Appeals concerning authority to increase the budget of operating expenses $66,000 above the legal maximum limitation.
The appeal, approved by the school board at its June meeting, was deemed necessary because of estimated operational expenses from the construction of Nottingham Elementary School.
¢ Eudora Boy Scout Troop No. 64 members Craig Rider, Matt Holladay, Ted Ziegler, Larry Shawbaker, Rick Shanks, Glenn Jackson, John Wingebach, Eddie Boyer and Bob Bryan, attended a weeklong camping session at Camp Naish in Bonner Springs. The leaders who attended were Hugh Jackson, David Slaughter and Charles Slaughter.
¢ Bob Miller, Eudora, an employee of Lawrence Asphalt Company, was pictured in a road grader, leveling out the road rock used to make one of the three layers on the track being constructed around the football field.
¢ Joseph Taylor, Eudora, reported that his 12-foot Ouichita boat with a 15 horsepower Williams motor was missing from where it was tied up east of the Wakarusa River Bridge north of Eudora.
Taylor estimated the value of the boat and motor between $700 to $800.

35 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA ENTERPRISE
July 1970
Six state highway officials met with the Eudora City Council preceding a special budget meeting to discuss a proposal for the rerouting of Highway 10 at Eudora.
The proposal, accepted by the city, included a new route which would follow 19th Street at the edge of the Eudora city limits, and cut off a small corner on the southeast section of the city. The roadway would save the highway department construction of three bridges, and in return, save the city its share in finances of the route.
¢ The Eudora Eagles won the Babe Ruth Tournament with a 10-6 victory over De Soto. Steve Hueston, Gary Scott and Dennis Folks pitched complete games to lead the Eagles in the tournament.
¢ Judy Schehrer received a special plaque for winning the Fred Clark Drama Award, the highest award given in speech and drama at Marymount College in Salina.

39 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA ENTERPRISE
July 1966
At its regular meeting after officially becoming a unified school district, the board of education of USD No. 491 elected Alf T.H. Oleson president and Dr. Kenneth Holladay vice president.
Other members of the board were James B. Smith, Lois Neis, Dewey Richardson and Norbert Grosdidier. Donald Bagby was treasurer and Beverly Edwards was clerk of the board.
¢ Kaw Valley State Bank conducted an open house to celebrate the completion of its remodeling program.
The project included a larger lobby, a director's room and private office upstairs as well as a community room, bookkeeping room, insurance office and storage downstairs.
¢ Members of the all-star Babe Ruth team in the Jayhawk League included Eudora players Rex Burkhardt, Doug Wehner, Carl Abel and Earl Babb.
¢ Merilee Neis was chosen to be a member of the International Lions Club Kansas Band.

75 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
July 1930
While assisting the State Bee Inspector, Louis Moll stepped on a board containing a rusty nail. The board hung to his foot and had to be pulled out by the inspector.
¢ Miss Golda Zook was staying with Miss Gladys Jones during the absence of Mrs. Minnie Jones, who was overseeing the harvesting of her wheat at Woodston.
¢ Ida White had the misfortune of getting her foot broken just above the heel.
¢ The Girls Hesper Blue Ribbon 4-H Club met at the home of their leader Esther Gabriel. They reorganized and elected officers. Those elected were Alma Votaw, president; Ramona Stanley, vice president; Eva Votaw, secretary/treasurer; Lucile Votaw, reporter; Ruth Dunlap, pianist; and Anna Grist, song and cheer leader.

78 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
July 1927
In order to make more room for parking automobiles on Main Street, the city "dads" had spaces painted on the curbings. If each car was driven into the designated space, many more cars could park along the walks.
¢ A number of the Prairie Center community gathered at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Nichols, with well filled baskets, the occasion a surprise on the couple, it being their 61st wedding anniversary. The bride wore the same dress she wore on her wedding day at the gathering, a lustrous black silk.
¢ Norbert, the 17-month-old son of Mr. and Mrs. George Grosdidier, living near Belleview School, was taken to the Memorial Hospital in Lawrence with a very severe laceration of the skull and side of his face, as a result of being kicked by a horse. Norbert needed 10 stitches to close the scalp wound.
¢ Dorothy Ruth White was one of 34 women to receive appointments to Watkins Hall at the University of Kansas.
¢ Potato digging began in a number of fields in the Kaw Valley. The gathering of the crop was in full blast. The yield was good in most of the fields, making as high as 200 bushels to the acre.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.