Archive for Thursday, March 3, 2005

Days Gone By

March 3, 2005

7 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
March 1998
Jim and Martha Carpenter took possession of the Farmers Elevator, a 145,000-bushel capacity grain storage facility. The name changed to Eudora Feed and Grain. The Carpenters also owned De Soto Feed and Grain.
The Farmers Elevator was formed in 1928 after the company took over the Farmer Union Cooperative Mercantile and the Elevator Co. A cooperative owned the facility, and in January, its board of directors began negotiating the sale of the local elevator.
The first board of directors included Albert Grosdidier, president; Henry Giertz, vice president; Homer Gerstenberger, secretary; F.D. Enyart, manager and treasurer; and Fred Ott, member.
The original building on the elevator site was constructed in 1918. That's when the group of farmers banded together to form the Farmers Co-op Elevator.
¢ Veterinarian Jon Haggard joined the staff of the Eudora Animal Hospital. Haggard graduated from Kansas State University. His special interest of veterinary medicine was equine, but he also treated small animals and cattle.
¢ Local Cub Scouts Pack No. 3064 celebrated the birthday of Scouting at its annual Blue and Gold Dessert Banquet.
Seven boys earned Cub Scouting's highest honor. The Arrow of Light was awarded to Jesse Hardwick, Joshua Hartley, Tyler Hartpence, Brandon Kurtz, Frank Male, Kevin Snow and Garrett Wornkey.
¢ Valerie Richardson's second-grade class at Nottingham Elementary School participated in the Douglas County Emergency Preparedness' Severe Weather Awareness Poster Contest. Nicole Snider won first place for her poster design. Brianna Landon won second-place honors.

15 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
March 1990
The Help Connection opened its doors to the community of Eudora. The organization assisted Eudora's needy. Emergency food and clothing were two of the basic services the group provided.
¢ Pete and Arlene Lawson returned from the southeast where they saw a show at Opryland in Nashville and met two Navy buddies of Pete's in Knoxville. Pete had not seen them since World War II.
From there, the Lawsons went to Ashville, N.C., and visited the Biltmore Estate, built by the Vanderbilt family, and spent time with Pete's high school classmate Norman Hearin and his wife.
They drove to Orlando, Fla., and spent the week there. They saw their granddaughter, Jamie Spitzli, graduate from basic training in the Navy. They also went to Disney World, Epcot Center and Kennedy Space Center.

26 years ago
FROM THE TELE-NEWS
March 1979
Lowell Henderson, proprietor of Jayhawk Oil Co. in Eudora, pumped the remains of his gasoline during the first week of March. Henderson was informed that his gasoline supply would be shut off until further notice.
Jayhawk's supplier, the Anderson-Pritchard Corporation, a large midwestern oil company, claimed they had to cut off their supply because they did not have it.
¢ Eudora High School juniors Karla Knabe, Danny Slankard, Robin Hicks, Jim Gilroy, Anita Henrikson and Cheryl Cawley were inducted into the National Honor Society.
¢ Eudora High School senior Ron Abel took third place in the 126-pound division at the state wrestling tournament in Hays. His wrestling career record was 64-23-1.
His twin brother, Don, participated at state at 119 pounds, but lost two close matches with scores of 3-2 each. His final record was 92-8-0.
The Abels were the only participants from EHS in the state meet.
¢ Nancy Brecheisen, Sherri Herndon and Kerri Tibbits were designated State of Kansas Scholars for 1979-1980. They represented the top three percent of seniors tested on the American College Test.

33 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA ENTERPRISE
March 1972
Eudora High School senior Linda Crawford received a Good Citizen award given by the Betty Washington Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution at a tea in her honor. She also received a special certificate, pin and a letter from the state director of awards.
Crawford's activities included letters in pep and track club membership in the German Club and National Honor Society, office in drill team, student council and she worked on the annual staff.
¢ Prell shampoo was 59 cents a bottle at Market Basket. Bananas were 10 cents a pound and Viva paper towels were 39 cents a roll.

78 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
February 1927
¢ Mrs. W.E. Mettlen took the place of Bessie Kraus at the telephone central office after Kraus resigned.
¢ Alfred Eisele put siding on a new barn for Charley Torneden.
¢ First- and second-grade students enjoyed playing folk dance games and marching out in the yard. Mr. Moll took the victrola outdoors for the music.

111 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
February 1894
Dr. A. Shellack took out naturalization papers.
¢ Carl Durr had a position with the State Bank of Eudora.
¢ Chalkley Hill was excused from jury service.
¢ Eggs, per dozen, 13 cents; hens, per pound, five cents; flour, first grade, $1.60; wheat bran, 100 pounds, 65 cents; wheat shorts, 100 pounds, 70 cents; butter, per pound, 12 to 14 cents.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.