Archive for Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Days Gone By

November 23, 2005

7 years ago
November 1998
The Eudora Board of Education adopted a resolution to establish a lease-purchase agreement between the district and Kaw Valley Bank, Eudora, to fund a district-wide area network.
The project was expected to cost approximately $269,000.
¢ Eudora postmaster Terry Crabbs was recognized by his co-workers for 30 years of service with the United States Postal Service. Crabbs had been the postmaster at the Eudora office for 20 years and served in the postal service in Kansas City, Mo., for 10 years.

15 years ago
November 1990
Naomi Kidd, a 1942 graduate of Eudora High School, was honored by the Lawrence Business and Professional Women's Organization with the Woman of the Year Award.
¢ Russell McCabria was serving with the Weapons Company of the Third Marine Division in the First Marine Expeditionary Brigade in the Middle East. He had been in Saudi Arabia since the first of September.
¢ Eula Massey enjoyed a progressive Thanksgiving dinner by eating some of each meal her three sons, Leland, Harold and Bob Massey, were having at their homes.
¢ Eudora High School sophomore Angie Brunk was among 6,000 Girl Scout delegates and visitors to attend the 45th National Council session and convention of Girl Scouts of the U.S.A. in Miami Beach.
¢ Eudora High School junior Mark Drennan had his essay "The Funeral" published in the November issue of the "High School Writer."

27 years ago
November 1978
The Eudora City Council decided to flood a portion of the parking area located by the Wakarusa River boat ramp to provide a frozen area for ice skating.
¢ Marine Private Gerald R. Campbell Jr., son of Shirley and Gerald Campbell Sr., Eudora, completed recruit training at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego.
¢ The new playground structure on the north playground at Nottingham Elementary School was completed. Principal Tom Jerome dedicated the equipment.
¢ Eighth-grade cheerleaders were Judy Potts, Midge Nicholson, Teresa Mills, Renee Henderson and Tracy Dickerson. Seventh-grade cheerleaders were Candi Decker, Lori Smith, Stacy Barnes, Shannon Bond and Stephanie Shipe.
¢ The pop music group, "Good Company," of Ogden, Utah, featuring Eudoran Annette Schopper, was getting ready for a one-month USO tour in Alaska. The eight-member group provided entertainment for military personnel stationed there.

67 years ago
November 1938
In a very impressive ceremony at Holy Family Church, the Most Rev. Paul Schulte, bishop of the Leavenworth diocese, administered the sacrament of Confirmation to 19 children.
Before administering the sacrament, Bishop Schulte spoke kindly to the confirmation class and told them of the seriousness of the obligation.
The confirmands were Junior Stadler, Arthur Grosdidier, Carrol Schopper, Donald Seiwald, Paul Seiwald, Delbert Seiwald, Edgar Grosdidier, Leo Bichelmeyer, Junior Hadle, Marie Rothberger, Arlene Grosdidier, Maurine Blechel, Mary Ann Schopper, Virginia Lee Zillner, Mary Delene Eder, Natile Weixeldorfer, Rose Bichelmeyer, Roselene Seiwald, Rita Grosdidier and Alberta Schopper.
¢ Frank Sommer and Sim Snyder were building a double garage at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Louis French on the Sheldon farm, one mile north of the Kansas River bridge.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. M.H. Cox entertained with a party. Chinese checkers and other games were played throughout the evening. At the close of the evening, dainty refreshments of ice cream and cake were served to the Rev. and Mrs. W.O. Watson and Mr. and Mrs. J.O. Scott.

70 years ago
November 1935
The first load of new corn brought to the Eudora Mills was raised by Bert Mitchell in Kaw Valley. It was fine yellow corn and brought 60 cents per bushel.
The first load of new corn brought to the Farmers Elevator Co., came from the A. Albritton Farms. It was of the white variety and of excellent quality, but tough, and brought 55 cents per bushel.
¢ Howard Wilson, while working with a lathe at the high school, had the tip of his left thumb severed. The thumb was well bandaged and packed.
He took part in the De Soto-Eudora football game the next day. Wilson made the touchdown that defeated De Soto.
A spectacular forward pass by Kasberger to Wilson defeated the De Soto gridder, 6-0, in a hard-fought battle at De Soto.

89 years ago
November 1916
Charles Sherlock, a traveling dry goods salesman who worked in the territory for many years and was quite well known, purchased an interest in Pilla's big department store and moved his family here from Emporia.
¢ Will Schlegel was home from his Montana visit.
¢ Wilfred Marley was taking a course in the Kansas City Central Business College.
¢ Miss Catherine Garret gave up her school at Haviland on account of poor health.
¢ John Moody, who underwent an operation at the Swedish Hospital in Kansas City, returned home and was getting along nicely.
¢ Dr. C.J. Ryan of Severance, opened an office in the Robinson building on Main Street.

112 years ago
October 1893
The river was partly frozen over, and the Wakarusa entirely so.
¢ Work on the new Weaver schoolhouse was progressing fairly well.
¢ A.C. Woerner, Morgansville, entered the employ of Charles Pilla.
¢ Dug Smith was exhibiting an otter he had trapped along the river.
¢ Henry Hagenbuch and Ben Hammert purchased the butcher business of Henry Schuete.
¢ Fire destroyed the residence of Joseph West, five miles southwest of Eudora.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.