Archive for Thursday, September 22, 2005

Days Gone By

September 22, 2005

7 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
September 1998
Allstate Insurance Company opened an office at 1402 Church Street. Heidi Briery was operating the office.
¢ The Eudora Planning Commission tabled a decision on future park recommendations until commissioners had the opportunity to walk the proposed sites.
¢ A surveyor's mistake -- measuring only 10 inches -- on the bridge being built over the Wakarusa River west of Eudora was possibly going to cause a delay in its re-opening.
The 10-inch mistake made the pier not match up with the girders supporting the road surface.
The problem was solved by redesigning the concrete and steel pieces, which fit between the top of the pier and the bottom of the girder.
The strength of the bridge was not affected.

15 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
September 1990
The "Bargain Center" sign above the Patchworks location (currently Century 21/Miller & Midyett) on Eudora's Main Street was taken down. The sign had been in place for more than 40 years.
¢ Mildred Whitman returned from a two-week visit in Clinton, Iowa, the home of her two daughters.
¢ Patrick Dardis, Eudora, was appointed as facility manager of the U.S. Army reserve Center in Lawrence.
¢ Tana Ahlen was named the Eudora United Way Division Chairperson.
¢ The Eudora Nursing Center had a special birthday party to honor those residents who were 100 years or older.
The five ladies honored were Mary Alice Blevins, Pauline Broveak, Jennie Stieghorst, Lilly Fuller and Lena Yeager.

27 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
September 1978
Terry Kanzig was honored with a farewell dinner at the home of his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. C.A. Fleming. Kanzig was leaving for San Francisco, where he underwent basic training for nine weeks in the United States Coast Guard Reserve.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Homer Broers returned home after spending Labor Day in Dallas as guests of their son and family, Ted Broers.
¢ Benny Dean won grand champion with his B.B. Red Old English game hen and reserve champion with his Black Rosecomb bantam hen at the Sunflower State Expo in Topeka.
¢ Mrs. Joe Strobel returned to her home in Eudora after spending two weeks in Lawrence Memorial Hospital where she had major surgery.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Archie Goodger, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Hausman, Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Jeffery, Mrs. Maudie Couch and Mrs. Minnie Edelbrock attended the 50th wedding anniversary reception at Clearfield honoring Mr. and Mrs. Dan Strum.
¢ Marjie Anne Bertsch was selected for inclusion in the 1978 edition of "Outstanding Young Women of America."
Bertsch was the pastor at St. Paul United Church of Christ.

75 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
September 1930
The piano students of Miss Gladys Bond were presented in public recital before a well-filled house at the Bond home on C Street.
Special numbers were: readings by Charlotte Stadler, Alvena and Edna Bond; vocal solo by Alvena, Junior and Leola Bond; and a piano solo by Miss Gladys Bond.
The following pupils each played several numbers: Charlotte Stadler, Benitta Bartz, Mary Johnson, Edna Bond, Garnette Bartz, Alvena Bond, Lucille Walkers, Margaret Everley and Elfredia Papenhausen.
¢ The Eudora High School opened with the following teachers in charge: Miss Dingelberger, Miss Velma Smith, Miss Golda Zook. R.B. Church, Curtis Ruthrauff, Allan Beatty and Frank Klingberg.
¢ Miss Eunice Hill and her aunt Miss Ellen Hill of Pasadena, Calif., returned from a trip to Europe.

76 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
September 1929
While "Buzz" Payne, the barber on the east side of the street, went into the garage next door for a few minutes, someone helped themselves to two pair of scissors, a razor and a comb.
¢ Robert, small son of Mr. and Mrs. Gideon Neis, was slowly improving from his recent illness.
¢ The Votaw families enjoyed a picnic supper at Martin Abel's home near Belleview, given in honor of J.D. Mills and family.
¢ A. Von Gunten was remodeling the W.W. Gerstenberger residence.

78 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
September 1927
The Eudora Mill was robbed of 55 sacks of flour.
Forty-five sacks of Larabee Best flour and 10 sacks of Kelly's Famous flour were found to be missing.
Sheriff Cummings was called to the mill and found no clues except automobile tracks headed north from the mill.
Entrance was made by a side window, after which the door was unbolted.
It was thought the flour was hauled away in a truck.
¢ Fred Papenhausen received word from his son, Ernest, that he and the Zillner boys had arrived safely in Twin Falls, Idaho. They had traveled 1,400 miles at that point.
¢ Leslie Kindred was in Holly, Colo., visiting his brother, Seth Kindred and family.
¢ Miss Eunice Hill, who had attended summer school at the University of Berkley, Calif., returned home for a short visit with her folks.

89 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
September 1916
Charles Pilla, president of the State Bank, pioneer businessman, mayor and postmaster, died at his home Sept. 5. He came to Eudora in 1865. He was 86.
¢ Little Margaret Zillner celebrated her 11th birthday with several of her friends.
¢ "Billy" Schlegel left of Sunburst, Mont.
¢ Misses Grace and Mary Rothberger and Mary Sommer left for Kansas City, Kan., where they were employed in the State School For the Blind.
¢ Herbert and Hattie Gerstenberger returned from a three-month visit in Byers, Colo.
¢ Miss Mary Fuller entertained 24 girls in honor of Miss Olive Carr, who was leaving to attend school.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.