Archive for Thursday, February 9, 2006

Days gone by

February 9, 2006

7 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA NEWS

February 1999

Eudora firefighters were called to the Eudora Riverview Golf Course north of Eudora when a driver passing by on North 1500 Road called in a fire at 11:50 p.m.

The clubhouse was engulfed in flames by the time fire crews arrived. The fire destroyed the clubhouse, golf cart barn and burned most of the workshop.

Plaster casts of footprints were taken by a Douglas County detective. The footprints were found near the clubhouse.

The fire was under control after about an hour. Sheriff's reports listed the loss at $182,000.

Owner Jim Bigger said he expected to start rebuilding a workshop as soon as he was allowed. The golf course was not damaged.

  • The Eudora Police Department temporarily moved its office to 10 W. Ninth Street, formerly occupied by Gambino's Pizza, until remodeling of the building at 840 Main was completed.

Fire equipment stored in the building was moved to the township fire department and the city maintenance area.

Work was being done to completely remodel the inside of the facility and expand the building to the west.

After renovations, the police department would occupy the space in the existing part of the building and the fire department would take over the new section. An additional bay to house a third fire truck was to be added as part of the work.

  • Lucille Ohrenberg retired as the activities director at Eudora Nursing Center. She had worked at the facility for eight years.

15 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA NEWS

February 1991

The Eudora Board of Education issued a series of articles to the patrons of the community to clarify some of the information dispensed by different groups prior to the fall bond election.

Issues the board addressed included the proposed high school facility, USD No. 491 site acquisitions, realignment costs incurred if a third facility was added in the district, out-of-district students and the 1918 structure.

  • Tillie Bichelmeyer entertained with a pheasant dinner for Doris Rice, Nina Zeigler, Una Kelly, Dorothy Shelby and Helen Sommer. Bob Rice provided the pheasants.

30 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA ENTERPRISE

February 1976

The Eudora Enterprise established an office in the building at 727 Main St., owned by Scott's Electrical and Plumbing, which formerly housed the Eudora Public Library.

For many years the building served as a doctor's office for various physicians who practiced in the city. Since the Scotts had owned the building, it housed a paint shop, a dry cleaning pick-up station, two beauty shops and the library.

  • The Eudora City Council discussed the termination of the position of caretaker for the Eudora City dump. The city dump was not being closed, but the caretaker position was being terminated as of mid-February.
  • Carol Homes, Eudora, was initiated into Phi Kappa Phi, the national scholastic honor society of Kansas State University.
  • Folger's coffee was $1.09 for a one-pound can at Howard's Super Saver. Bounce fabric softener was 95 cents for a 20-count box. Hamburger helper was 49 cents for an eight-ounce package. Kraft Velveeta cheese was $1.69 for a 32-ounce loaf.

69 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS

February 1937

William Ziesenis, better known as "Billy," was carrying his left arm in a sling as the result of a fall on the icy sidewalk on Main Street. While on his way to dinner at the home of his sister, Mrs. Fred Papenhausen, he met two high school students. As he stepped to the side to let them pass, he slipped and fell with such force his left wrist was broken below the elbow.

  • Seven students of Eudora Rural High School made all A's in their grades. Sixteen others were placed on the honor roll.

Those making all A's were Benetta Bartz, Garnette Bartz, Jean Bartz, Eleanor Bartz, Hilda Helen Gerstenberger, Virginia Shirck and Margaret Ogden.

  • Mrs. H. Reifschneider and Mrs. Ray Miller gave a surprise birthday dinner in honor of their children, Robert Reifschneider and Maxine Miller, at the grade school.

The first- and second-grade pupils were invited to stay for a hot lunch prepared by Mrs. Fred Moll. A decorated table centered with a birthday cake made the occasion a very happy one for the kiddies.

77 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS

February 1929

Mrs. C.E. Cory entertained with a Valentine bridge party. Bridge was played at eight tables.

Mrs. William Zimmerman won the prize for high score, and the consolation prize went to Mrs. Frank Boone.

  • Elizabeth McFarland left for Chicago, where she entered a four-year training course for nurses.
  • Ermine Wyrick, the 8-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Wyrick, who had been quite ill suffering with quinsy, was able to be in school again.
  • Dorothy White, who was attending Kansas University, spent the weekend with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Homer White.

107 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS

February 1899

"There is a great deal of enthusiasm here over Admiral Dewey's late victory."

  • Ice on the Wakarusa River was from 10- to 14-inches thick.
  • Nat McBride, Charles Kaiser and Ben Foust were suffering from a severe attack of "Oklahoma fever."
  • T.J. Harris, formerly of Keystone, who had been located at Jonesboro, Ind., for the past eight years, was on his way back to Kansas.
  • "The mercury touched 8 degrees below zero Wednesday morning."

Commenting has been disabled for this item.