Archive for Thursday, February 1, 2007

Old K-10 bridge over Captain Creek to be replaced

February 1, 2007

Douglas County Road 442 between the interchange at Kansas Highway 10 and Evening Star Road in Johnson County will soon be closed as the Douglas County Public Works Department replaces a bridge over Captain Creek.

It is anticipated the road will be closed the week of Feb. 12 until late summer. The bridge to be replaced is located approximately three-tenths of a mile west of the Johnson County line, and carries Route 442 (old Kansas Highway 10).

A signed detour will be established. The detour follows K-10 highway between the Route 442 interchange and the Evening Star Road interchange, a distance of about two miles.

Local access to properties within the project limits will be maintained throughout the project, however properties east of the bridge must be accessed from the east via the Evening Star Road interchange.

The bridge to be replaced was built in the 1930s as part of the K-10 Highway. It is in poor condition, and is currently posted for a 10-ton load limit.

The existing bridge is 150 feet long with a 24-foot roadway width. The new bridge will be 160 feet long with a 36-foot roadway width (two 12-foot wide driving lanes with two six-foot wide shoulders).

Construction is anticipated to be substantially complete by September 2007, weather permitting.

Federal transportation funds are providing 80 percent of the money for the project. Douglas County is funding the remaining 20 percent.

Midwest Construction Co. Inc. of Holton was awarded the construction contract by the Kansas Department of Transportation with a bid of $860,291.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.