Archive for Thursday, January 18, 2007

Days Gone By

January 18, 2007

7 years ago
January 2000
The Eudora Board of Education ratified the 2000-2002 negotiated agreement with school employees at its regular monthly meeting.
The Board would provide $67 per month to each teacher on a "use it or lose it" basis to apply to the district group health insurance plan.
The following year, the amount provided to each teacher by the Board would increase to $100 per month.
In the year 2000-2001, the salary schedule would increase vertical steps from $500 to $550.
The base salary for starting teachers hired just out of college would be $27,000 and the base amount was raised to $27,900 for the 2001-2002 school year.
¢ Nottingham Elementary School custodian Jim Harris retired after more than 20 years with the school district.
¢ Eudora High School boys basketball cheerleaders were Charis True-VanAnne, Meagan White, Amanda Rogers, Heather Helm, Sarah Davis and Tonie Barnett.
Wrestling cheerleaders were Elizabeth Rowland, Wendi Burke, Erin Classen and Kristen Grosdidier.

15 years ago
January 1992
Nottingham Elementary School fifth-grade teacher Paul Boone was training to run in the Boston Marathon.
Boone earned the trip to Boston by finishing 21st in the Kansas City marathon in October. He finished the 26.2-mile course in two hours 56.01 minutes. To qualify for the Boston race, for his age group, the Kansas City Marathon had to be run in 3:10.
¢ The Eudora Chamber of Commerce was sponsoring a contest to design a logo for the newly formed organization.
¢ Kurt Hopson, Eudora, enlisted in the United States Army. Pvt. 1 Hopson, son of Richard and Delores Hopson, was to undertake basic and advance training at Fort Benning, Ga., in February to become an Infantryman.
¢ Elva Jordan was teaching line dancing two days a week at Pinecrest Apartments.
¢ Cardinal basketball cheerleaders were Lori Altenbernd, Angela Richardson, Cindy Arvidson, Linzi Oliver, Machaela Beem and Kari Ott.
Wrestling cheerleaders were Cynthia Self, Tanya Guy, Stephanie Rector and Errin Bond.

28 years ago
January 1979
The Eudora Enterprise office, 727 Main Street, officially closed. News items and classified ads appear in the Tele-News.
¢ A late model Chevy Nova was buried in snow to the windows after being abandoned just south of the junction of 460 and 1061 on the Eudora road. The car went off the road during the blizzard the weekend before. The occupants escaped out the passenger window when the doors would not open. By leaving the window open, much of the interior filled with snow.
¢ The City of Eudora bills for electric, water, sewer and ruse were processed through the new mini computer.
¢ The Eudora Public Library Board met at the library. Those attending were Helen Goff, chairman; Anne Leaf, treasurer; Alden Fleming, secretary; Darlene Slapar, publicity chairman; Pauline Gilroy, librarian; and Mary Delene Born, assistant librarian.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Bert Perry celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with an open house at the Masonic lodge hall.
¢ Carrol Gerstenberger, a delegate to the Kansas State Board representing Douglas County Farm Bureau, attended a three-day session in Topeka.

114 years ago
January 1893
Thomas Rayson returned from Olathe.
¢ David Davis of Hesper returned from a visit in Bowling Green, Mo.
¢ Billy Carr came up from Kansas City with a badly injured hand.
¢ Mayor Lothholz and Charles Hill went to Lawrence Monday morning on the 9:27.
¢ J.M. Harris, Frank Seiwald, Frank Vitt, Mrs. George Seiwald and Miss Callie Schleifer were in Lawrence Thursday between trains.
¢ Eggs were 22 cents a dozen. Butter was 11 at 17 cents per pound. Potatoes were 50 cents a bushel. Onions were 70 at 75 cents per bushel. Wheat No. 2 was 55 cents a bushel. Corn was 26 cents a bushel and oats were 22 cents per bushel.
¢ Ice on the Wakarusa was 12 inches thick.
¢ J.P Wilson brought in the banner load of hogs for the season. They averaged more than 300 pounds and sold for $7.55. The entire carload of 75 hogs, all of which were raised by Wilson, netted him $1,604.
¢ "George Ott met with a painful, though it is not supposed fatal, accident one day last week.
"He was on top a load of hay and when near the south approach of the bridge spanning the Wakarusa at what is known as Deichmann's crossing the lines broke and the mules, without guidance, going out of the roadway a little, where the ground was sloping, tipped wagon and all over.
"Mr. Ott was thrown with much force to the hard ground and sustained severe bruises about the head and body and injuries internally, though how serious could not be ascertained. But very little damage was done to the wagon, the mules remaining standing still after the wagon toppled over."

Commenting has been disabled for this item.