Pete and Arlene Lawson, Eudora, will celebrate their 65th wedding anniversary with an open house, hosted by their children, from 2 to 4 p.m. March 4 at the Lawson's home, 622 E. 14th Place, Eudora.
Pete Lawson and Arlene Westerhouse married March 7, 1942, in the former Eudora United Methodist parsonage.
Pete graduated from Eudora High School in 1941. He entered the U.S. Navy in May 1942 and served overseas for 17 months as a guard on Tinian Island in the South Pacific, Saipan. He oversaw the assembly of the atomic bomb. He was discharged in October 1945 and began mechanic's training for Ship Winter Chevrolet in Lawrence. He also worked for Rothberger Motor Company and Broers Chevrolet, both in Eudora, before purchasing the building in 1962, which he and his business partner renamed Pete and Ray's Garage. Upon Ray Warmker's death, the business changed to Pete's Garage, which Lawson operated until his retirement in 1975.
Arlene graduated from Eudora High School in 1940. Previous to becoming assistant city clerk for the city of Eudora, she worked for District Judge Paul Rankin at the Douglas County Courthouse for three years. She served as assistant city clerk until 1963 when she became the city clerk for Eudora. She retired in September 1988.
Their children are Kenneth and Sharon Lawson and John and Karen Kaye Spitzli, all of Eudora. They have four granddaughters and six great-grandchildren.
The couple request no gifts.