Archive for Thursday, March 1, 2007

Fire explained

March 1, 2007

An unattended candle has been blamed for a fire that damaged a home about 8:30 a.m. Sunday about three miles east of Lawrence.

Eudora Township Fire Chief Barry Larson said no one was hurt in the blaze -- and three or four people had vacated the home at 1555 E. 1850 Rd. by the time crews arrived.

One room in the basement suffered heavy fire damage, and the ground floor had heavy smoke damage, according to Larson.

Larson says crews from Eudora Township, Wakarusa Township and the City of Eudora responded to the fire -- which was brought under control around 9:30 a.m.

Larson estimated damage at $30,000 to $40,000.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.