Archive for Thursday, October 4, 2007

Cardinals struggle with scoring

October 4, 2007

After playing with a 0-0 tie for nearly the entire contest, the Eudora High School soccer team gave up two goals in the final 13 minutes of play to fall 2-0 to Perry-Lecompton Tuesday afternoon.

"We just seem to have small, technical issues which seem to be coming up," Eudora soccer coach Gunar Harmon said. "We're making mountains out of mole hills at this point."

The Cardinals fell to 1-9 on the season heading into Saturday's road contest at Baldwin. Eudora was scheduled to play a make-up date with Tonganoxie Thursday, but the game has been moved to Wednesday, making it three games in a row EHS will have to play next week, beginning with a road game Tuesday at Paola.

"That's going to make for a long week," Harmon said. "Next week, three nights in a row, is going to put a test on things."

It seemed as though neither team could get the ball in the net Tuesday in the first half despite numerous chances for both teams. The Kaws had seven shots on goal while Eudora had just two shots.

The Cardinals wouldn't get many more opportunities the rest of the game. In fact, EHS recorded no official shots on goal in the second half while Perry-Lecompton finished with 11 total shots, including the two goals.

"I wouldn't say it was a great display of soccer," Harmon said. "It was kick and run for them. They have some good speed and the ability to kick the ball long. We found ourselves tripping over our own feet half of the time. It's just small little things here and there. We just couldn't generate opportunities and they missed great opportunities. That kept us in the game. It was probably more what they didn't do than what we did do."

The two teams battled back and forth in the first half, but neither seemed to be able to come through by the net. The Cardinals' best opportunity came as the final seconds were ticking off the clock before the halftime as a wide-open Connor Hartpence was stopped just short of kicking the ball in the net as the buzzer sounded.

The Kaws, though, continued on the attack in the second half and it would eventually pay off. With just under 13 minutes left to play, Justin Miller was able to corral a deflected ball and drive it into the in left side of the goal for the first score of the contest.

Miller would come through again, this time with just under two minutes left as he was able to connect with a ball that had been deflected by Eudora goalkeeper Ben Miller for the final score of the game.

Despite their best effort, the Cardinals just couldn't get anything going before the game ended and were held scoreless for the fourth time this season. It was the second game in a row that EHS failed to score as the team was blanked 5-0 on Thursday against Spring Hill.

"The game hinges on the player to do technical things with the ball and today we left it at home," Harmon said. "We weren't able to make the right pass. We weren't able to collect the ball and control it. Eventually it just became kick and run again. They had too much speed in the back to play clean-up behind it. There is just not a lot you can do there."

The Cardinals will be at home again on Thursday as they entertain non-league foe Pittsburg at 4:30 p.m.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.