Archive for Thursday, October 25, 2007

Cards can’t carry over scoring

October 25, 2007

The Eudora soccer team's season came to an end Tuesday.

Even to say that much is to say the team improved late in the season.

The Cardinals fell to Basehor-Linwood, the top team in the region, 7-0, Tuesday in the first round of the regional playoffs.

Basehor had two players score two goals each, but led only 2-0 at half.

The Bobcats exploded in the second half, though, scoring five more times.

"We played the night before and (Basehor) is a very physically large and fast team, so it wasn't going to take a lot for them," Eudora coach Gunar Harmon said. "They had a pretty orgarnized game plan. They put the ball up in the air a lot.

"We had a couple chances, but didn't make the most of them."

That Eudora advanced to the first round via a Monday afternoon play-in game showed progress, however.

The Cardinals scored two second half goals and senior Logan Hartpence recorded his first career three-goal game as Eudora beat Tonganoxie 4-3.

The Cards never looked better than they did Monday.

The win against Tonganoxie avenged a 4-2 loss earlier in the month to the Chieftains. The earlier win actually gave Tonganoxie the home field advantage over the Cardinals, but a home field torn up in the recent weather forced the game to be moved to Eudora.

Playing in front of a friendly crowd and on their home turf, Eudora was tough.

The Cardinals scored first when Hartpence sank a ball deep in the net. Toganoxie quickly answered, but Eudora scored again right before halftime.

Senior Chris Robinson had been digging out quality scoring opportunites for his team all half long, crossing balls into the middle. Eudora couldn't find a way to put one away, however, until finally Robinson just took the shot himself.

Holding off a defender, he hammered the ball, blasting it off the right upright.

It was another near miss until fellow senior Isaac Welsh showed up to clean up the trash, easily sliding the ball into the net for a 2-1 lead.

Tonganoxie overcame a 2-0 hole by scoring four goals in 14 minutes when the teams first met, and Monday it appeared the Chieftains might pull of a similar feat.

They scored right after half with a penalty kick, then quickly added another goal, taking the lead 3-2.

"I was really nervous there," Hartpence said. "They got that that PK there and it gave them a lot of momentum. I knew something had to happen, but I didn't think I'd be the one to score."

Hartpence has never been happier to be wrong.

He scored his second goal of the game on a long ball still early in the second half. He broke free from his defender, tracked it down on the left sideline, and swung deep in the zone.

It made for a tough angle, but it's a personal favorite shot, Hartpence said. He whistled it past the Tongie goalkeeper's left hand and into the far right corner of the net to tie the score.

He put his team on top in the 54th minute, again beating the defense to a ball deep in the Chieftain zone, and again swinging deep, setting up a difficult angle. Again he cut it around the goalie to more than answer Tonganoxie's early-half charge.

"Knowing it could be my last game I didn't want to give up," Hartpence said. "I took it as a challenge. I know the whole team didn't want it to end.

"Everyone gave me perfect balls to score. They're the ones that made me score."

Commenting has been disabled for this item.