Council hears traffic studies pitched
The city of Eudora will look into the possibility of beginning three transportation studies that would investigate anticipated effects of the Kansas Turnpike Authority's plans for a new Tonganoxie interchange, growth eastward from 10th Street to Kansas Highway 10 and the need for a traffic signal at the high school.
The three plans will cost a total of $31,981, but the city anticipates USD 491, Douglas County and the state will help with the cost.
According to documents prepared by Lawrence-based engineering firm BG Consultants Inc. and presented at the Eudora City Council meeting Monday, the new access to the turnpike would increase traffic on Main Street, making traffic routing through town a significant issue.
"It's a blessing that we'll have those people traveling through Eudora, but what we have is a chicken or the egg type of situation," City Administrator Cheryl Beatty said. "Do you build the roads and hope the people will come or wait until the people come and then build the roads?"
BG Consultants proposed a $17,580 study that would include an overview of the Leavenworth County Road 1 interchange, a summary of Douglas County's comprehensive plan in the context of the impact of the turnpike interchange, a summary of traffic engineering aspects in Eudora's comprehensive plan, traffic volume anticipation and identification of potential traffic routing alignments.
A $10,989 traffic study also would be done for the eastern end of 10th Street because of growth in the form of Intech Business Park, existing and planned residential developments and the possible construction of a new elementary school.
The firm told the Eudora City Council that construction of a traffic signal at the high school was not warranted at this time. However, it eventually will be needed as development of the area south of K-10 continues. A $3,412 study would reveal that timetable.
"Eudora needs to start making plans for this so that we can get into Douglas County's comprehensive plans and the state's comprehensive plans," Beatty said. "If we do that, then we have a good chance of getting funding."
The council will make a decision on whether or not to fund the studies in two weeks.