Archive for Thursday, July 31, 2008

Days Gone By

July 31, 2008

12 years ago


July 1996

Roger Stone, son of Herb and Ruth Stone, Eudora, traveled to Manila, Philippines, where he continued his work with Wycliffe Bible Translators.

Wycliffe volunteers translated the Bible into village languages, often times for people who had no prior form of written language. Stone helped with the computer work of the linguistics program.

¢ Eudora Police Chief Bill Long participated in a forum discussing juvenile crime in Douglas County. The panel discussion focused on efforts to combat rising crime among youth, including gang activity and drive-by shootings.

26 years ago


July 1982

Four Kansans were to give a year of health service in Nigeria at Good Samaritan Hospital in Omu-Aran, Nigeria, located 280 miles from the capital city of Lagos. Dr. Paul Neis and his wife, Dody, of Eudora, were among the four participating in the trip.

Dr. Neis received his medical degree from Kansas University. After his return from Nigeria, he planned to do one year of general surgery internship in Kansas City and then begin the four-year training period in ear and throat medicine.

Mrs. Neis earned a bachelor's degree in nursing from the University of Kansas in 1978. She had worked in pediatrics at the KU Medical Center for four years and was head nurse of the general pediatrics ward and intensive care unit.

Marvin and Wilma Schroeder, Eureka Springs, spent the day with Emma Schroeder.

71 years ago


July 1937

The 36th annual C.P.A. Picnic was planned for Aug. 17 and 18. Elaborate plans were being made, including band concerts each day, various kinds of concessions, races, platform dance each night, the ever popular Hale concessions, a merry-go-round, Ferris wheel and swings.

¢ The Eudora water works system was completed and had been in operation for 10 days or more. One hundred thirty-five meters had been installed. At the present time, there were 70 homes using water. As the plumbers, Herman Trefz and Alfred Eisele, completed jobs, water users were added daily.

¢ Luci Kaegi returned home after spending 10 days at Memorial Hospital in Lawrence. She suffered an attack of inflammatory rheumatism.

¢ Barbara Johnson returned from Estes Park, Colo., where she spent five weeks at Cheley Camp.

109 years ago


July 1899

The work of remodeling I.O.O.F. hall began. During the time the hall was undergoing repairs, the Odd Fellows met in the A.O.U.W. hall.

¢Mayor Charles Pilla planned to leave for Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Manitou, Denver and other points of interest in Colorado. He was expected to be gone two weeks.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.