Archive for Thursday, April 23, 2009

Days Gone By

April 23, 2009

April 1997

The Eudora school board had not yet made a decision about filing a lawsuit against the architects who designed the new high school.

The district contended Glenn Livingood Penzler Architects in Lawrence did not represent USD 491’s best interests when designing the school, which opened in 1995.

At issue were three practice football fields, a baseball field and a softball field north of the high school. The district had repeatedly contended over the past two years that all the fields were improperly graded, the football fields were too small, and the baseball and softball diamonds had too much slope on the infield.

The engineer and architects contend the district got what it asked for — practice fields, not regulation playing fields.

From the Eudora news

April 1974

Construction was underway on the 30-by-40-foot metal building at Seventh Street next to Eudora City Hall. The building would house the Eudora Auto Trim upholstering business, owned by John Reese.

• Randy Burchett, the 16-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Burchett, was released from Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where he had been treated for a leg broken in a truck-motorcycle accident near Perry Lake the week before.

From the Eudora Enterprise

April 1935

Preparatory work for paving four miles of Highway No. 10 through Eudora was being done. The work started near the John Ott farm and headed toward Eudora.

From the Eudora Enterprise

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.