Archive for Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Natural gas leak forces evacuation in Eudora

Adobe Flash player 9 is required to view this video
Get Adobe Flash player

Emergency crews responded to a gas leak in Eudora late Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning. Area residents had to temporarily evacuate their homes while crews worked to fix the problem.

April 14, 2010

Emergency crews responded late Tuesday night to reports of an odor of natural gas in Eudora.

According to Douglas County emergency dispatchers, a gas valve had been damaged, allowing gas to spew out. Multiple crews, including a hazardous materials unit, were dispatched to the scene.

A resident in the 900 block of nearby Birch Street said crews had evacuated residents north of the leak site in the 1000 block of Ash Street. The resident also said emergency crews advised him that if the wind changed directions, he may also have to evacuate.

An employee from Atmos Energy was also called to the scene.

The responding emergency crews were able to stop the leak about 12:45 a.m. Wednesday.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.