Natural gas leak forces evacuation in Eudora
Emergency crews responded late Tuesday night to reports of an odor of natural gas in Eudora.
According to Douglas County emergency dispatchers, a gas valve had been damaged, allowing gas to spew out. Multiple crews, including a hazardous materials unit, were dispatched to the scene.
A resident in the 900 block of nearby Birch Street said crews had evacuated residents north of the leak site in the 1000 block of Ash Street. The resident also said emergency crews advised him that if the wind changed directions, he may also have to evacuate.
An employee from Atmos Energy was also called to the scene.
The responding emergency crews were able to stop the leak about 12:45 a.m. Wednesday.