Gas leak work concludes; K-32 reopens
Kansas Highway 32 is open again after Wednesday’s chlorine gas leak had several local agencies on scene just west of Bonner Springs.
The highway reopened about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Leavenworth County Administrator Heather Morgan said. It had been closed from 150th Street in Leavenworth County to 138th Street in Waynotte County for about 2 1/2 hours because of workers monitoring a chlorine gas leak near 142nd Street and Kansas Highway 32.
Morgan said the leak was thought to have initially happened between 11 a.m. and noon in a chlorine gas tank. It was in a building adjacent to the Eagles Banquet Hall, 14230 (Kansas Highway 32) Linwood Rd. The leak was in one of two 150-gallon chlorine gas tanks. Officials from the company that owns the tanks, DPC Industries of Omaha, Neb., remedied the gas leak and removed the two tanks. Morgan said it was unknown whether there was a leak in the other tank as well.
Asa precautionary measure, all residences and businesses within a half-mile downwind of the leak were evacuated.
One person at the scene had minor respiratory problems, but declined transportation to a hospital, Morgan said.
Morgan said the leak was most likely caused by a mechanical issue.
Fire departments from Bonner Springs and Tonganoxie, Sherman and Fairmount Township fire departments, as well as Leavenworth County hazardous waste officials responded to the scene. Bonner Springs police and Kansas Highway Patrol assisted with traffic.
More like this story
- K-32 closed from 150th Street to 138th Street because of gas leak incident
- Three killed in violent car accident near intersection of Leavenworth County Road 1, Kansas Highway 32
- Natural gas leak forces evacuation in Eudora
- Family, friends remember three people who died Sunday night in Leavenworth County accident
- Fire, gas leak causes evacuation