Kansas Democrats file complaints in 2nd District
Topeka Kansas Democrats have filed two federal complaints against Republican congresswoman Lynn Jenkins alleging she violated ethics and campaign rules because a staff member also serves as an unpaid re-election spokesman.
The Kansas Democratic Party said Monday the complaints were filed last week with the U.S. House’s Office of Congressional Ethics and the Federal Elections Commission.
They deal with Jenkins campaign spokesman Bill Roe, who is also her district director.
Jenkins’ office said the allegations are without merit.
The complaints were filed by Jason Perkey, the Kansas Democratic Party’s executive director. Perkey contends that Roe’s dual roles violate rules designed to keep congressional staffers from being involved in politics.
Jenkins’ staff said ethics rules allow staffers to do volunteer campaign work on their own time.
More like this story
- Baldwin City legislator TerriLois Gregory faces ethics hearing over using public resources for political campaigning
- Kansas congresswoman Jenkins keeps CPA title despite lapsed permit
- Campaign briefing: IRS asked to look at Kline's church activities
- Staffer confirms Moore won't seek re-election in 2010
- Jenkins sets record in Kansas Congressional campaign contributions