See current severe weather alerts.
Get commuter and severe weather updates via e-mail or SMS text message
Sunrise & sunset
Moonrise & moonset
- Kansas sees lowest tornado total in 25 years
- December 29, 2014
- Kansas officials say the state saw the lowest number of tornadoes this year in 25 years.
- Q&A: Drones might help explain how tornadoes form
- December 18, 2014
- Researchers say they have collected promising weather data by flying instrument-laden drones into big Western and Midwestern storms. Now, they want to expand the project in hopes of learning more about how tornadoes form.
- National Weather Service issues tornado watch, other advisories
- March 27, 2014
- In like a lion and out like a lion?
- Tonganoxie Phil: Early spring is on its way
- February 4, 2014
- Longtime physician by day, weather prognosticator by morning. Dr. Phil Stevens has been practicing medicine at the same office in downtown Tonganoxie for more than 58 years.
- Severe thunderstorm watch in effect until midnight for area counties
- March 28, 2012
- The National Weather Service has issued a severe thunderstorm watch that’s in effect until midnight for Johnson, Wyandotte, Leavenworth, Jefferson and Douglas counties.
- Tornado watch issued for Douglas, Franklin and Jefferson counties
- February 28, 2012
- The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch for Douglas, Franklin and Jefferson counties. It is in effect until 1 a.m. Wednesday.
- Ozone alert in effect Tuesday in metro KC
- August 1, 2011
- The prospect of unhealthy levels of smog today has prompted officials to issue an orange Ozone Alert for the entire metropolitan Kansas City area.
- NWS warns: Weekend will be hot
- July 14, 2011
- Temperatures during the weekend heat watch could reach as high as 100 degrees. Factoring in humidity, heat indices will be between 105 and 110 degrees.
- Disaster officials urge Kansans to prepare for tornadoes
- May 24, 2011
- Despite living in the Midwest, where tornadoes frequently threaten the spring and early-summer weather, relatively few Kansas residents actually have a home tornado plan or disaster supply kit in place, according to the Red Cross.
- Thunderstorms, hail possible Thursday afternoon, evening
- April 14, 2011
- Thunderstorms, heavy rain and hail are possible Thursday afternoon and evening across northeast Kansas, according to the Hazardous Weather Outlook from the National Weather Service offices in Topeka and Pleasant Hill, Mo.