See current severe weather alerts.
Sunrise & sunset
Moonrise & moonset
- Scientists fly Kansas sky to study ferocious storms
- July 20, 2015
- No thrill-seekers here. These jetliner-flying storm chasers are on a scientific mission. They’re trying to figure out how to better predict a little-examined peculiarity of summer weather on the Great Plains: its enormous, and often ferocious, nighttime thunderstorms.
- Sirens failed to sound in Nickerson as tornado hit area
- July 15, 2015
- Tornado sirens failed to go off in Nickerson as a tornado hit the area.
- Preliminary data has 99 tornadoes reported in Kansas in May
- June 9, 2015
- Preliminary data shows storms that hit Kansas in May prompted reports of 99 tornadoes in the state.
- Some Kansas regions report near record rainfall in May
- June 2, 2015
- To no one’s surprise, some Kansas areas reported near record amounts of rain for the month of May.
- Rough weather hits southwest Kansas, at least 1 tornado
- May 26, 2015
- The National Weather Service says a super cell storm swept across western Kansas, spawning at least one tornado.
- Steady rain swelling Missouri, Kansas streams, rivers
- May 24, 2015
- Heavy storms across Missouri and Kansas have been pushing streams and rivers out of their banks, and forecasters say more rain is likely this week.
- Middle America braces for strong storms, possible tornadoes
- 09:21 a.m., April 8, 2015 Updated 10:41 a.m.
- A forecaster has warned that the ingredients necessary to “blow up some big storms” would fall into place Wednesday and Thursday and cautioned millions of residents in the middle of the country to be aware of worsening weather.
- Officials fear Kansas is complacent about tornado season
- March 2, 2015
- Weather officials in Kansas are worried that the state’s lack of tornados last year will make citizens complacent going into tornado season this spring.
- Kansas sees lowest tornado total in 25 years
- December 29, 2014
- Kansas officials say the state saw the lowest number of tornadoes this year in 25 years.
- Q&A: Drones might help explain how tornadoes form
- December 18, 2014
- Researchers say they have collected promising weather data by flying instrument-laden drones into big Western and Midwestern storms. Now, they want to expand the project in hopes of learning more about how tornadoes form.