Electric Bills ? Who,s is a new record high ?

Comments

paperweight 6 years, 6 months ago

The city is making a killing off of all of Eudora on these high bills and are not going to turn it over to anyone unless they have to. I have no idea how to accomplish this, does anyone have an idea how we might get this done?

behappy 6 years, 6 months ago

The City of Eudora HAS NOT raised the Electric cost in five years. The Unit cost is the same as it was five years ago... There has been no electric increase...it's all on record if you need to check this out.

nascarmomof3 6 years, 6 months ago

Unfortunately my bill went up almost 100 dollars this month.

It has been this way since the beginning of time and I do not think there is anything that can be done. BUT I agree, I think this is the worst it has been, 250 for everything. It did drop a whole 10.00 from last month!! We have not had our air on now for a month and it is outragious!!! I was looking forward to a low bill this month and WOW was I in for a surprise. This is horrible and I too think something should be done if possible. The same old thing year after year they say we do not pay for the electric for the fair BUT my bill sure goes way up during that time. Have lived here forever and my parents felt the same way we are feeling now. I am talking 40 years ago and more so get used to it I don't think it will ever change.

EudoraDad 6 years, 6 months ago

holy crap batman...$162.05 for electricity alone on my bill this month WTF???

new2town 6 years, 6 months ago

Our electricity was 162.14. We don't run the air unless it is going to be above 85 and keep the air at 78. This is crazy.

went back and looked at bill for 7/6 to 7/25 electricity was only $124.86 granted the billing days were 32, compared to 34 this latest bill but it was a heck of alot hotter in July. something is very FISHY! i know there were several days and nights in Sept. we shut the air off and opened windows.

eudorqian 6 years, 6 months ago

Guess who just paid for the Carnies use of electricity for the FINE carnival.

If you ask the city they will tell you NO you do not pay for the electric the for the fair. Hahaha! Then something is very wrong here. Some of my family live in a small town not far from here and there bill was less than half of mine. Been this way for years and years CAN ANYTHING BE DONE?? There are only two of us in my household and my air and heat unit is faily new and I have siding on my house which should make it easier to heat and cool. Can somethnig be done should not be the question........It should be something has to be done this is horrible. On top of all the other cost here in this fine city they are going to run people out of town. I have told people for years the electric in Eudora will kill you so you might want to consider buying a bigger house in another town cause it won't cost you any more than paying the high electric in Eudora. It is getting worse and worse can or will someone be albe to do anything about this.

eudorqian 6 years, 6 months ago

More astonishing is the costs of my sewer and trash $30.20 is more than my water portion of my bill ($9.90)..this town is the biggest rip off for utility services

What I would like to know is if the Utilities in Eudora are on the up and up WHY are the bills there so much higher than every other town around. My home is not any bigger than other homes in other towns and probably smaller than a lot and their bills do not come close to mine. Again I have put in new heating and air, put in new windows, put on siding, put in more insulation and still the bills are higher than ever. I did some calling and was told Eudora is not regulated and they can charge whatever they want to. So yeah I think we are being taken.

YEP...and the LAST Electric increase was 5 years ago.... I saw that coming. IT was a given...

You are correct ... there isn't anything we can do about it. Eudora has to purchase it from the BIG boys who owned the electrical companies. You need to blame them and our State Gov's. They LOVE small towns and they know where they can get their increase...by increasing ours. Welcome to Eudora. I have heard this saying before, "if you don't like it move...Lawrence is only 10 mins further down the highway.

ok om an idiot. my wife just got off the phone with the city.the bill we just recieved is for the month of August duh!! i guess it would be higher. the temps in Aug. were hot,but we still had a few days and nights that we were able to open windows. guess i will wait till next bill before i complain again.

Did you know our City Council members gave our City Manager a 3 year contract? ($78,000.00 a year + extras) This is why we are seeing increasing... Get real Eudora... Our Council members bow down to her spending our tax money. Wonder what we were spending before her time? I can assure you it was LOTS LESS. What in the world is going on? The true positions (department heads) that were in place years ago to run Eudora only get a one year contract and I am sure they don't get paid that well. We know what they can do for us... What can the City Manager do for us? She doesn't care. She isn't going to around that long and we'll be stuck right where she leaves us. Broke.

Like I said I have family that live in a small town smaller than Eudora and their electric bill was half or less than mine. Now I blame the big guy yeah but mostly I think we are being screwed by the CITY OF EUDORA. And I do plan on moving just as soon as I can retire and get out of here!!!! I bet all the gripping will never stop and it will only continue to go higher and higher. It is easier said than done sometimes to pick up and move. I will and will be happy when I do but it takes a while to accomplish this. I knew better when I bought my home here several several years ago. It has always been this way but I just thought maybe something would eventually be done to change it AND again I really knew better than to think that.

Thank our City Council for approving ALL of the increases our City MANAGER brings in front of them to vote on. I feel your pain... I hope to be out of here soon too. Your family small town probably doesn't have the OVERHEAD our City Manager is applying. Honest...she is breaking us. Spending money faster than what we all know. That money she is spending needs to come from somewhere. Can't blame the WHOLE Eudora City...management. We need to thank our City Council members and our City Manager for our high cost.

i just looked up my eletric bill don't fall out of your chair it was only $80.00 my water bill maybe around $60.00 that includes trash my gas $31.23 total what around $171 That is what my family sent me from a small town not to far from here. Mine was double that. That is just crazy. It has been like this for years and can't blame any current staff for the city. This might have been August bill but GOOD GRIEF does that matter when it still should NEVER have been no where near this high

barnhardt 6 years, 6 months ago

The last bill I paid was 248.00. The bill I just got in the mail is 303.00 (200.00 alone for electric). I had the A/C shut off 09/7-09/17 (nice weather). I hae a house that is 5 years old. My thermo set at 80 and 2 years ago installed the special thermo tint on all the windows. Totally outrageous.

I lived in Lawrence for 10 years in a 60 year old house that leaked air everywhere and never paid bills this high.

Someone tell me is there anything at all that can be done about this? This is rediculous. Any suggestions??

barnhardt, i thought the same thing but the wife called city hall the bill we just recieved is for August, still it sounds as though everyones bill is OUTRAGIOUS

barnhardt 6 years, 6 months ago

Per my bill the reading date was 09/14, so the days my A/C was off should be included on that bill. Check on your bill to see what the reading date was.

simpsonmomm 6 years, 6 months ago

i agree. same time last year the bills were outrageous!!! last year their excuse was the reader was sick( or something to that effect). when i spoke to an attorney about it he said because the city runs it they dont have to follow the same rules as the electric companies. my air was off all of september and my bill was identical to last months. when is enough enough?

greenman 6 years, 6 months ago

Now I've never been much of a conspiracy theorist myself, hwoever, I have often wondered how electric and water billing is regulated inside of communities. This is a great forum with inquiring minds - and it seems that more than a few of you are familiar with city employees, council members, the city administrator - perhaps someone who knows can provide an explanation on this very forum! (maybe even those three guys who drive around in the blue city car all day - by the way, how do you guys decide who rides in the back, do you rotate, or what?) What a great use of the technology. Look forward to hearing from someone who can explain things to us - otherwise, I suppose they just don't care what we think, only that we pay our bill on time and if we are more than a tick of the second hand slow they threaten to shut off our power and turn us in to collection agencies. I've a stellar credit history/score and on two occasions I've been humiliated by their little "scare practices" - and they were the ones that lost the check. If anyone from the city is reading this, please understand that you work for us. Perhaps staying open later to accomodate people who work for a living (split shifts, rotate staying late coming in late among employees - you can figure it out!) and, gasp, maybe even Saturday hours? The city is, after all, selling itself as a bedroom community, might be nice for the city hall to be open when the people who live here are actually in town.

I tell you what, I am sure they are probably reading this and laughing. They are thinking go ahead and gripe all you want cause that is all you can do. Aparently Simpsonmom talked to an attorney and he said it....there is nothing you can do. They simply do not care. It's the way this town has always been and it is only getting worse.

the billing date on my bill is 9/24 the reading date is 9/06 the days is 34 and according to the city office this morning the bill due on 10/10 is for August. she told my wife the bills run 1 month behind.

The thing is it doesn't matter when it was for, that amount is uncalled for. It is just totally redicilous no matter when it was for. People I know in Arizona where it is 116 - 120 don't pay as much as we do. People who live 50 miles from here don't pay as much as we do. Come on it doesn't matter if it is August or December this is just crazy that we should pay this much!!!!!

itsbeenalongday 6 years, 6 months ago

i agree with the issues brought up. i am usually angered at the city all year long, but i must say that last year during all the snows we recieved, the city did a heck of a job keeping our roads passable. even during that unexpected friday in feb. when we we were hit with the snow. i have family and friends in kansas city, tonganoxie and baldwin and last winter our roads were wonderful compared to theirs. maybe i should have started a new discussion for this topic, and im not saying that clear roads justify high bills but i think credit should be given when it is due.

Everyone read the first post again from MoneyWatch. I am going to call this number he mentions and complain. If several people do maybe just maybe someone will look into this. Won't hurt to give it a try.

im willing to try, im tired of paying too much for my water and electric. if there was a time for a petition this is it. i see the blue car drive by a lot too. it must be hard to walk a down an entire street to read meters. have you been home when they do read, they do 1 home get in their car and go to the next.... i would like a job where i do absolutely nothing and get paid. they must be related to cheryl.

moonman 6 years, 6 months ago

MoneyWatch, Your comment, "Someone is cooking the books at city hall"! That's a pretty harsh comment. Have you ever heard of deformation of character?
moonman

cardinals101 6 years, 6 months ago

Get over it...basically you all gotta remember that your not JUST paying electric your also paying for water, sewer, and trash as well! You're gonna pay for that no matter where you live whether it be Lawrence, Baldwin, or even Arizona for that matter! I called city hall about my bill and it was explained to me that my read date was Sept. 6th and it was for 29 days. They are a month behind in billing (can't bill for something not used yet) so this bill is for electric used between Aug. 8th and Sept. 6th. I'm not sure about any one else but my air conditioner ran non stop during the really hot days because of the heat and humidity. The average heat index was about 102 degrees for a good majority of August (online August 2007 heat wave summary). I also asked about the CPA picnic and if we the citizens paid for it. The people who run the carnival have their own electric meter and they pay for the electricity they use. It is physically impossible for everyone in town to pay for that. They would have to run an extension cord to everyones house and I haven't seen a cord ran to my house during the picnic. Everyone pays for the electricity that runs through their meter and nothing else. I don't like paying a high bill either but at least I called and asked which is more than some people on this forum.

MoneyWatch 6 years, 6 months ago

No names were said so it is not. The phrase can be taken many ways. The month included in the billing cycle was hot to say the least, we all agree. Now there were several of those days included in the billing cycles that were below average in temperature as well.We had some cool weather move in, short lived but never the less cooler than average.I know of no increase in electricity prices ? I also know that we can say we did not use any appliances more than any other time, infact we grilled out more in this time range. We also were out of town for 6 days and had things shut down, like A/C and lights. You can,t tell me we used double normal usage during this time. I suggest everyone call the number posted in the first post and lets see where it goes from there. 1-800-662-0027 Kansas Corporation Commission. I can also add the Canival doesnt cost us extra, they have generators for most of the power they need. The water and sewer are high due to old council members not fixing the sewers back years ago, we are being taxed to upgrade them now. Keep in mind a new school is in the works as well. If it passes in November, we will be hit with another $400.00 or more per home per year , some homes way more. Do not let this bond pass at this time, lets do as other have posted, Think Smart and think educated.

um, yeah, cardinals101, pretty sure most people know about the whole billing period being a month behind thing, however, thanks for trying to at least act smarter than the people on this board. No luck this time, though.

Electric bills = no new school. Wow, I guess maybe I should beginning looking at conspiracy theories...

Let's defeat the bond issue. Then we'll be hit with a HIGHER TAX BILL - to provide the upkeep and temporary solutions to the problems we already have. And do you really think new people and new businesses will come to a community that doesn't support their schools (sorry, that's the message. Straight up or down vote. Pick your side.)?

No new growth? Hmmm..., no new people to share the tax burden - now I wasn't an economics major, but - wouldn't that make taxes go UP?

A community is either going forward or going backward. I understand why some would want to go backward (lower taxes, lower overhead for businesses that get much of their revenue from out of town, people who don't want solid surface roads, people who want emergency services located 10 miles away, people who don't really want sanitary solid waste disposal - heck, let's cut all the taxes, I can take of the road in front of my house, can't you?). I'm really interested to see which way the commmunity is leaning.

...yeah, yeah, yeah, but I want the know what the h@ll those guys who just drive around all day actually do. I mean, my 12 year old daughter noticed how often the car is parked at a local park where kids play. Are they just lazy, or do they like little kids? I really don't know, but if Cheryl the friendly witch is looking to cut the budget, she should look there first, the guys in the blue car - be on the lookout for them.

I just wanted to take time to let everyone know something is funny with the city billing dept. We have new energy saving items in our home and had the air off for 10 days during this billing cycle. Our city electric bill sets a whole new leval of high cost. It is over $65.00 more than it,s ever been. Thats just electric nothing else. Someone is cooking the books at city hall. I think it is time for the state of Kansas to be called in to see who is pocketing the money. We are being riped off. I think everyone should call the states Corporation Commission at 1-800-662-0027 and file a complaint.This is our only way to fight back.They will investigate any and ALL complaints.

To clear up my opinion of the books issue. I think the way the billing is done within the programing it is meant to up the billing amount charged (%) to the unit of electrial used. That is the meaning of the charges being so high.The rates change at differant times in the day due to peak usage. I think that is being done and thats how the bills are being made to be so high. This inturn puts more money into the city,s pocket. They are not regulated on what they can charge us, so it,s more money billed to us. Thats called a cooked program in the computer business. None of the people in the billing dept can change this, this is set up in the programing. I think we are being hosed bad, but i dont think we can do anything to change it. It makes up for those who dont pay on time and cost the city lots of money, but we pay for it.How a bill can jump 150% with less usage is beyond me, even with rate charge changes.

taylor 6 years, 6 months ago

I too was a little upset about my utility bills this month and decided to call City Hall and ask about it, rather than rant on the community forum about things I haven't ck'd into yet. I have a friend at City Hall so I decided to call and ask her about the rise in my bill. She explained that the meters are read the first two weeks of each month. The bill we just received was from the beginning of August to the beginning of September. I was certain that I hadn't turned off my air in August because the temperatures that month were awful. She also explained that their computer program calculates the readings for each home and if there is an out of range reading, the "guys in the blue cars" are sent out to re-read the meter to verify the readings. Then, after all of the meters are read, the girls in the office go over each and every bill to make sure there aren't any huge increases and if there are, the guys again re-read the meter. She assured me that they take all measures to make sure our bill is correct. Bills are due the 10th of each and every month. If the bills aren't received by then, an automatic shut-off notice is sent out stating that payment must be made by the 20th. She told me that when someone moves and hasn't made payment, they make every effort to work with them on monthly payments. Only when those payments aren't met will we be turned over to collection (State of Kansas-Setoff Program). The guys in the blue cars are under constant supervision as are the rest of the City staff. The meter readers put up with residents threatening their lives if their service is turned off, biting dogs, and extreme weather conditions. The city girls certainly take more than their share of threats from residents about their high bills, dog fines (for dogs without leashes-found places other than their own homes), constant accusations from residents that the city is picking on "them" rather than other "non-paying" residents, people throwing their bills at them, sob-stories about their family being out on the street or not able to use their breathing machines if they are turned off and how it will be their fault if a child or loved one dies-yet later see those same people walking out of a liquor store with full hands, residents cussing them out about their bill not reaching them by the 10th (even though they send out all of the bills the same day), and even residents threating to kill them. I'm quite certain that my friend is not "pocketing" any money due to the fact that she is working two jobs and still can't make ends meet. She doesn't own any designer clothes or any sports car.

Why don't we give the office girls and the meter readers a break and possibly look into the real problems in Eudora. What about the awful water??? What about the rumors regarding the City Administrator (has anyone actually spoken with her and asked her about their concerns?) Is she really awful to her employees? Is she trying to take away their benefits and yet plump her contract? Does she have Eudora's best interests in mind? Are we the new Kingman?

We will never know the answers to these questions and more until we ask and go straight to the source. Facts are what is needed....not rumors. We need to go to the council meetings and ask our questions there or call the City Administrator and ask her about our concerns. I bet the city council members would appreciate our questions and concerns as well as the city administrator.

Ok, the guys in the blue car, does the one who rides in the back supervise? Constant supervision? Please. All I would like as a taxpayer is accountability, not a "circle the wagons every one is against poor us" mentality when someone points out something that might need changed. I agree, there are appropriate avenues to affect change, and I've followed those in the past. Case in point; when whoever the genius was that decided to send out the monthly bill in the water report. The water report sat unopened on my counter for a couple of weeks (not exactly an urgent piece of mail). Then I got the unreasonably threatening postcard from our friends at city hall indicating that I was, indeed, a deadbeat and my power would be turned off. When I approached them about not realizing the bill was in the envelope they said, "oh, I bet this has happened to half the people this month". I explained (didn't threaten to kill anyone, didn't give a sob story, didn't have my dog bite them) that if it happened to so many people why not waive the late fee this one time since it was obviously a city hall error. I got no response. I put the request in writing to the city administrator, no response, yeah or nay. So I guess that's my experience going through the "correct channels". And do the "workers" who drive our fleet of city vehicles around all day have any responsiblity to confront property owners about trash and junk being piled in yards? Not just a little bit here or there, piled in yards. I've asked the police and they say it is a city issue. Now, I've never seen the blue car in a hurry, so maybe they could look around while driving around and issue some notices to people who don't take care of their property.

I agree that the city bills shouldn't be in the water report envelope. Even with the bold notice on the front that stated UTILITY BILL ENCLOSED in red ink still didn't help. People still didn't open it and get their bill out. I'm sorry that your request to waive the late fee went unanswered. That is unfortunate and possibly something you should call Donna Oleson, the City Clerk, about. She is very good about working with the residents. I'm also sorry that you feel the delinquent notice sent out on the 11th is threatening. I believe that is simply a reminder. Bills are always due on the 10th of each and every month all year long every year. NEVER CHANGES! If for some reason you or anyone else doesn't receive it before then, might I suggest calling the ladies at city hall and ask for your total and or a copy of your bill. There are three meter readers now. Unfortunately, the city doesn't have 3 separate vehicles for them. If one doesn't ride in the back, then I suppose one could be a hood ornament if you feel that would justify your tax dollars. Although, I believe the police may have a problem with this idea. As far as the trash in yards, there are legal steps to follow. The city can't legally walk up to a resident and tell them to pick up their yard without following certain steps. It is the same with uncut yards. The guys in the blue car aren't allowed to confront residents. There are too many extreme personalities in the world and the city feels that the meter readers should do their jobs and ask the residents to speak with city hall about their issues. City hall asks the residents with complaints to fill out a complaint form and it is then turned over to Rick Treas the code enforcer and building inspector. I would like to inform the residents of Eudora that Toby's Carnival pays for their own electric usage during the CPA picnic. There is not one single household that pays a single penny for what the carnival uses. I believe that can be proven at City Hall. Our utility charges are figured by the kilowats used. The CA on our bill reflects either a credit or debit and refers to any over or under usage with Westar. Do the math and you will see that we are only charged based on our OWN usage. It is quite unfortunate that residents think that the city would take advantage of them in this way, especially when it is put in black and white on our bills what we are paying for. I've never seen a line in the itemized portion of my bill that states CPA.
As we all know and have experienced, there isn't one job out there that can make everyone they touch happy all of the time.

lmatt 6 years, 6 months ago

Eudora buys its electric from Westar.

If I'm understanding right, the city has no enforceable ordinances or laws that deal with how property is maintained? I bet if I started building an addition to my home there would be city folks there with their hands out wanting me to pay for permits and making sure that everything is to code in every conceivable manner. So, I guess the lessons to be learned here are at least two:

1. Live like a pig, don't cut your grass, load all kinds of waste onto your lawn in plain sight and bring down the property values of all around you and the city really doesn't care because them's too scared to confront the property owner, and;

2. Add on to your home, making it look better and improving its and surround homes' property values and the city will certainly be there with their hands out making sure they cause all of the problems they can.

Hmmm...what is wrong with this picture. Gosh, wouldn't it be nice if we all had jobs where there wasn't any distasteful duties.

We have three meter readers and one car for them? And you don't see the ineffeciency in that set up? So, every third stop one of them works? Huh. You might want to rethink that argument.

And yes, threatening to shut off decent people's power is threatening. And not admitting blame when it is your fault is a problem. Just because you work in a flawed system doesn't mean you have to hide behind it and make it worse. They have lost my check on two occasions (I brought in cancelled checks to prove it) and yet, I get a postcard for all who handle and deliver the mail to see that says I don't pay my bills and am about to have my power shut off AND, they refuse to take off the late charge.
And I agree, Donna does a nice job. Maybe others should take a cue from her. For example, and I'll say it again, wouldn't it be nice for people who actually work for a living to be able to go to THEIR city hall without having to take off work? It wouldn't be that hard to extend hours and it wouldn't have to cost any more money, unless, of course, you only have one computer and one telephone and you need three people there at a time to operate each of them.

unexpected fri? lol j/k longday. i understood what you were meaning, i remember that friday well. i think the roads were kept fairly clear. i know city personnel multi-task various jobs, i wonder if the meter readers in the blue car drive a snow plow during winter storms?

even if the meter readers cleared the roads which they dont, there is a separate fund set up for snow removal given to the city every year. it isnt part of our electric bills. the city of eudora is choosing to bill their customers higher because they can. why cant the 3 meter readers drive their own vehicles that would be more proficient, cover the city faster, and ultimately lower some of the costs.(supposedly). it takes 6 months before the bills look somewhat normal compared to other cities. someone mentioned that the reason our bills are so high is because we are paying for people who dont pay their bills, well if thats the case so are other cities, they dont feel the pinch. eventually they get their money, and we dont see a refund in our bills. if we have to pay this much for electric water and trash, cant some of the overcharging go to fixing the water treatment plant here in town. i hate turning on my shower or drinking this water. it smells and tastes bad.(my house is 6 years old)

DCCCC 6 years, 6 months ago

As others have posted The city is collecting money on the water bills to fix the water troubles, but will take years to do. The old councils didnt take any action to fix the problem, now we are paying the price.That is why the sewer part is so high. The electrical part is high becuse the city can charge pretty much what they want since they buy the power and resell it to us. This is also due to peak usage cost as said before by someone. The gals in the billing office just put in the numbers and the computers figure our bills, they cant change anything. They do great work. I do feel we get charged an overly high amount though, but to keep up all the lines and crap, i guess we cant bit-h too much. Might be best to let KPL come in and run the electric part of our city. They would have to keep up lines and build a good system and might be cheaper for us as citizens. Looking at other small towns, we run about 45% higher for utilities than they do. I have to agree with (greenman) about the crap in yards and stuff, really getting BAD in some areas of town.I feel the city needs to move on some of the places with piles of old cars and old buildings laying around and furniture and household items.

mattg 6 years, 6 months ago

KPL, westar, etc...anyone would be better than the city trying to run its own utilities. I don't know who's bright idea that was in the first place, but the city has its hands full with enough other problems and expansions. They definitely need to hand the utilities off to a company.

eudoraeyes 6 years, 6 months ago

hmmmmmm Just found out that the council voted unanimously to increase all untilities by 3% annually. Be sure to read Ordinance No. 885 when published in the paper. Also passed a Charter Ordinance no. 9 to create another utility rate for storm sewers. More fees, higher utilities, yahoo.

racegirl8 6 years, 6 months ago

My husband's business in Lawrence electric bills are the same as what we pay for our house in Eduora and his company runs large equipment. And their are heating and cooling more square footage. And if you question your bill at City Hall, you never a get answer back.

Sign in to comment