Archive for Thursday, June 24, 2004

Days Gone By

June 24, 2004

7 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
June 1997
A week after Eudora school superintendent Dan Bloom told Board members he was leaving the district, he announced he'd remain in his local post for the 1997-1998 school year.
The contract talks between Bloom and the Kansas City, Kan., school district had fallen through, and he was going to remain with the Eudora school district for another year.
¢ The Eudora City Council planned to consider adopting of a resolution at its meeting to make improvements in the city's water and sewer system.
The resolution stated it was necessary for the city to repair, alter, extend, reconstruct, enlarge and improve the city's water and sewer system.
¢ Members of the Eudora Assembly of God youth group spent much of one day painting the gazebo in the downtown city park and sprucing up the shelter house after vandals covered the gazebo with a coat of black paint he aimed to look like gangs had done it.
Youth group leader Ron James said one of the girls suggested that the youth group paint it. James approached City Superintendent Gary Malburg with the idea, and he accepted the group's offer.
Those helping with the project were Betsy Hickman, Nikki Neis, Nicci Simon, Jessica James, Jerri Mason, Dustin James, Alissa Hamilton and Brynn Hamilton. The city supplied the pain the, rollers and clean-up supplies.
¢ Five teachers in the Eudora school district were recognized for 25 years of service by the University of Kansas School of Education. Those honored were Susan Ashcraft, David Durkin, Dale Hofer, Rebecca Lowrance, and the late Ruth Bettenbrock.
¢ Bob and Carol Rooker, rural Eudora, were the focus of a feature story, "The Joys of the Simple Life," in the July issue of Family Circle Magazine.
The Rookers farmed with horses, grew their own food, concocted medicinal remedies and were looking forward to the day when they began to live without electricity.
¢ Eudora resident Debra Whited Burnham was installed as president-elect of the Junior League of Wyandotte and Johnson Counties in Kansas, Inc., an organization of women committed to promoting volunteerism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers.

30 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA ENTERPRISE
June 1974
Keeping with the total personal property, real estate and utility valuation increase for Douglas County ($5.5 million from 1973 to 1974), Eudora's valuations increased from $219, 227 to $2,651,861.
Eudora Township was listed at a value of $3,470,890, which was an increase of $91,316.
¢ Eudora farmer Harold Neis was the first to bring a truckload of wheat to the Eudora Farmers' Elevator.
Elevator manager Don Harris said nine railroad carloads of wheat had been sent or were ready to send to Kansas City.
¢ The Eudora City Council accepted the bid for a new water well and the authorization of the Park Committee to invite bids for park development.
At the recommendation of City Superintendent John Pinnick, Council members accepted the Layne-Western bid of $8,995 for a new well, which would use a submergible pump system.
¢ Six Eudora High School cheerleaders were conducting an egg sale throughout the community to raise funds for cheerleading camp.
Head cheerleader Joni Holloway explained that the girls would ask for an egg at one house and then go to the next house and sell the egg for a donation.
The other cheerleaders were Julie Shepard, Donna Bagby, Mary Jane Abel, Beth Whitten and Judy Pickens.
¢ JoAnne Born was the only Eudora 4-H Club member participating in the 4-H In the interstate Exchange Program. She was one of 28 4-H'ers from eight Douglas County 4-H clubs who left for Haywood County, N.C., to share and compare ideas and lifestyles of two different counties in two different states, visit areas of interest around the county and learn about the 4-H program in North Carolina.
¢ Maudie Couch resigned from her position as correspondent for the Eudora Enterprise. She had written for the newspaper since its beginning in 1966.

66 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
June 1938
Albert Von Gunten had his left hand mangled when it came in contact with a power saw. Dr. Johnson dressed the wounded hand.
¢ Edna Bond was the librarian for the traveling library at the grade school building in the third and fourth grade rooms during the summer.
¢ The William Mercier, John Schopper, George Grosdidier and Alfred Seiwald families visited at the Albert Grosdidier home near Roscoe, where fireworks and ice cream were enjoyed.
¢ Eileen Breithaupt attended the handkerchief shower given in honor of Miss Virginia Pierce by the Anti-Can't class of the M.E. Sunday School. The shower was at the home of misses Eva Belle and Alice Marie Kindred.
¢ John Bowen lost a valuable horse, which was struck by lightning in an electrical storm.
¢ Chris Hammer had a cataract removed from his right eye at Memorial Hospital in Lawrence.
¢ Josephine Gilmore was one of the class of 1888, which was honored at the 50th anniversary celebration at Kansas University. She and each member of her class were presented with gold medals.

74 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
June 1930
The fire department was called to the country home of Mr. and Mrs. Douglas Harris. The fire originated in the basement and was extinguished before it reached any other part of the building.
¢ The Rev. Carl Schmidt was ordained at St. Paul Evangelical Church.
¢ A large tree fell on Robert Hennessey's garage, demolishing it and ruining his car during a strong wind. Damage to other trees, chicken houses and barns was also reported.
¢ The JLL club met at the home of Edna Zillner. Martha Seiwald won the contest, "An Auto Catastrophe."
Mrs. George Jennings won the guessing contest, and Adelia Zimmerman won the old-fashioned spelling contest.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.