Archive for Thursday, September 15, 2005

Days Gone By

September 15, 2005

7 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
September 1998
The Eudora City Council, after a public hearing at its meeting, adopted the plan for the new sewer treatment facility and formally accepted the recommendation to construct a new plant.
It was just about a year earlier that the Kansas Department of Health and Environment advised the city its wastewater treatment facility was out of compliance with state regulations. KDHE gave the city a time frame for the development of a plan to remedy the problems.
The city's current wastewater treatment plant, a lagoon system, was constructed in 1971. Twenty-seven years before, the plant was designed to treat a maximum of 263,000 gallons a day. Average flows in 1997 indicated the plant was treating 320,000 gallons a day, meaning the city was consistently not meeting the state's recommendations.
In addition, the state indicated the city's system was not removing pollutants, including ammonia and nitrates and fecal choleraform bacteria.
¢ The lights went out all over town when a junction box at 18th and Elm streets on the town's main feeder line going through town burned up.
City crews worked to bring the power back on, but experienced some setbacks during the process, causing the lights to stay off in some parts of town until around 7 p.m.

15 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
September 1990
Fire raged through the Eudora Lumber Company, destroying more than half of it. The north half of the lumberyard, which covered a whole block encompassing the east side of Oak Street and the west side of Maple Street, was engulfed in flames.
Firefighters from Eudora City, Eudora Township, Lawrence, Baldwin, Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant, Palmyra Township, Wakarusa Township and Willow Springs Township helped combat the fire. Several houses in the area sustained minor damage.
¢ Councilman Pat Dardis informed the city council at its regular monthly meeting that all residents with the prefix 542 would be able to receive 911 emergency telephone services by the end of September or the first part of October.

27 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
September 1978
Eudora High School cheerleaders collected bars of soap as admission to the intrasquad scrimmage at the Eudora football field.
¢ Belle Davis was pictured on the front page of the Eudora Enterprise next to an unusually large tomato plant in her garden, which she had measured to be at least 7.5 feet tall.

32 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
September 1973
Eudora schools were on a hot weather hours schedule. Classes began at 8 a.m. and dismissed at 2:25 p.m.
¢ A copying machine was delivered to the Eudora Public Library for the public's use.
¢ Herman Bohnsack had a bumper bean crop, all on one vine, in his backyard garden. A niece in Florida sent the bean seeds to him. They grew up to 36 inches in Florida, and Bohnsack had some measuring well over 30 inches.

71 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
September 1934
Jim Roe went to Topeka to spend a week with his children, Mr. and Mrs. Arch Roe. He planned to attend the Kansas Free Fair during his stay.
¢ Carl Tuck was under the care of a physician after suffering a severe cut to his foot.
¢ Elsie Mae Griffin, Geraldine Harris and Eva Dean Kurtz began the school term at Hesper School. Miss Irene Neis was the teacher.
¢ Misses Rose Marie and Maxine Lothholz left for their home in Clebourne, Texas, after spending two weeks with their grandmother, Mrs. Rose Lothholz.

78 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
September 1927
Fred Walker enjoyed a vacation from his duties as meat cutter at the B. Daugherty and Son Meat Market.
¢ The front of the Robinson building, occupied by the Farmers Union, was painted.
¢ J.M. Tarleton plucked a cucumber from his garden that weighed 3 pounds 11 ounces, was 13-1/2 inches long and was 11-1/4 inches in circumference.
¢ Erwin Schmidt, who was clerking in the grocery department of the Charles Pilla Department store, enrolled at the Aviation School in Chicago, Ill.

89 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
September 1916
Leland Kendall returned to Eudora after spending 10 weeks with his parents near Modoc.
¢ John Eder held a closing out sale.
¢ The Rev. and Mrs. Fred Stoerker returned from a trip of several weeks in the eastern states.
¢ John Edelbrock of Weaver purchased the livery barn and business of Jesse Warsop.
¢ Miss Frances Hale, a nurse at Simmons hospital in Lawrence, was spending her vacation with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. JK.F. Hale.
¢ Miss Mattie Catlin entertained with a slumber party for four of her friends -- Fay Lepper, Hilda Ziesenis, Esther Kohler and Thelma Metz of Topeka.
¢ Misses Nora and Anna Kelly of Kansas City, were in Eudora for the CPA Picnic and visited at the Trefz home a few days.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.