Archive for Thursday, February 2, 2006

Days Gone By

February 2, 2006

7 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
January 1999
The Eudora City Council gave its support to the possible construction of additional senior citizen housing.
Officials from the Commercial Group, owners of the Pinecrest complex, asked the council for its support in the construction of at least 24 more apartments adjacent to the 60 that already existed in the 900 block of Pine and Walnut streets.
¢ Nine signed on to try for one of the four seats open on the USD 491 Board of Education, making a primary election necessary. Candidates were Suzanne Van Anne, Peter Bock, Lori Whitten, Keith Turnbaugh, Joe Pyle and incumbents Greg Neis, Mark Chrislip, Brenda Clark and Kenny Massey
In the Eudora City Council race, eight residents were trying for one of the three spots open on the council. Candidates were Arthur Payne, Dan Gregg, J. Willene Blackburn, Tom Pyle, William Gadberry, Robin Ross, Bill Folks and incumbent Allen Morriss.
¢ The Eudora varsity boys basketball team claimed a 70-61 overtime victory over Rock Creek to claim third place in the Tonganoxie Invitational.
Brent Carnagie had 18. Justin Spring added 13 and Matt Fisher scored 10 in the game.

15 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA NEWS
January 1991
Eudora's 1990 headcount was up more than 70 from its 1980 population, according to figures released by the U.S. Census Bureau.
According to the figures, the 1990 population for the city of Eudora was 3,006.
¢ Don Durkin was hired as the recreation director for Eudora.
¢ SrA Lori M. Oglesby was named Airman of the Year by the U.S. Air Force.
Oglesby, a financial management specialist and a member of the 3415th Comptroller Squadron, managed a $1 million vendor payment program, which saved the Air force hundreds of dollars in lost discounts by improving accuracy in processing payments.
28 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA ENTERPRISE
January 1978
The remaining segment of Kansas Highway 10 between Eudora and K-285, south of De Soto, was opened to traffic. With traffic moving on the segment, K-10 was now open from Lawrence to K-7 Highway.
¢ A 1.75-acre tract of land located south of the Eudora Catholic Cemetery was annexed into the city at the monthly council meeting.
¢ Marjorie Gronniger was reported in fairly good condition at Lawrence Memorial Hospital where she was taken following an automobile accident.
Gronniger suffered a broken left leg when her car was sideswiped by a car that went out of control, into a ditch, then back onto and across the road into her lane. The accident occurred on U.S. 40 Highway.
¢ John and Wayne Kanzig won the Goodyear Conservation Award for 1977.

69 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
January 1937
For the first time in many years, an old-fashioned bobsled appeared on the streets.
Charley Holmes, who lived just over the city limits on the west side, got out his bobsled and put the wagon bed on it, hitched his team to it and came to town sliding over the sleet-covered streets with grace and ease.
"The bobsled was one his father, William Holmes, built over 50 years ago. It is in an excellent state of preservation and was used by his father winter after winter, years ago, to haul feed from the fields and wood from the timber."
¢ Mrs. C.B. Johnson, captain, with Mrs. Fred Rothberger, lieutenant, organized a Girl Scout Troop of girls age 10 to high school.
The 14 members were Alice Marie Howard, Mary Virginia Pierce, Barbara Johnson, Maxine Daugherty, Albert Martha, Marilyn Rosenau, Doris Bohnsack, Laverne Daugherty, Leola Bond, Hazel Goodger, Lois Gerstenberger, Beatrice Steffen, Shirley Long and Vera Rose Gerstenberger.

97 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
January 1909
Al Smith's baby was very sick with typhoid-pneumonia.
¢ J.L. Todd traded his Hesper property, including the store building, to a man named Miller, for a farm in Greenwood County.
¢ "Eudora nimrods killed hundreds of rabbits during the recent snow."
¢ About 20 of I.D. Harris' friends and relatives gathered at his country home and surprised him, the occasion being his birthday.
¢ Lizzie Blechel, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Blechel, an attendant at the Blind Institution in Kansas City, Kan., had her right ankle badly sprained and bruised while coasting in that city.


107 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
January 1899
W.F. Warfel of North Ceder rented the blacksmith and wagon making shop of Joshua Reber on C Street.
¢ Twelve city and township residents were receiving aid at the expense of Douglas County.
¢ Eggs were 14 cents a dozen.
¢ At the spelling school in Kaw Valley, Harry Eaton and Don Westheffer divided the honors of being the best spellers.

112 years ago
FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS
January 1894
Frank Shafer was appointed deputy sheriff.
¢ Eggs were 12-1/2 cents per dozen.
¢ The new parochial school building was opened to the school children.
¢ Ice on the Wakarusa was about one inch thick.
¢ Charles Willsdorf was the first to have lettuce. He had grown the produce in a hot bed and it was ready for market.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.