Archive for Thursday, June 15, 2006

Mowing accident leaves girl hospitalized

June 15, 2006

After sustaining a serious foot injury Saturday morning, it appears 2-year-old Alexis Foster could be heading home as soon as the weekend.

Her aunt Kylee Foster who has been speaking to the public on behalf of the family since the accident said the girl was doing well.

"She will probably be in the hospital a few more days, and possibly might be able to come home this next weekend," the aunt said.

The injury occurred during a visit to Alexis' great-grandparent's home.

Alexis' mother, Donna Foster, was mowing the lawn on a riding mower when her daughter ran up behind her unexpectedly and she accidentally backed over Alexis' foot.

Eudora Police Sergeant Greg Neis said the mother thought Alexis was across the yard playing when she put the mower in reverse to avoid driving over gravel.

"It was just an accident," Neis said. "It was one of those things where you needed eyes in the back of your head."

Kylee Foster said a recent first aid course helped Alexis' mom take control of the situation after alerting authorities for help. Donna rushed to pick Alexis up and stop the bleeding.

"She really saved Alexis' life by stopping the blood and keeping calm and by doing everything she knew to do before the ambulance got there," Kylee Foster said. "She really did a good job of that."

Representatives from Eudora Emergency Medical Service and Lawrence-Douglas County Fire and Medical arrived and Alexis was flown by air ambulance to Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo.

At the hospital, Alexis seemed to be in good spirits, Kylee Foster said.

"Right now they're just kind of trying to make her as comfortable as possible and give her things to do in the hospital room. They're going to be there until at least Saturday," Kylee Foster said. "It's kind of hard for a 2-year-old to sit in bed that long."

Throughout the ordeal, Foster said Alexis' family has also strived to stay positive.

"They're holding up pretty well," Foster said. "They really appreciate the support that everyone has given. They're doing the best they can. They're just trying to take it one day at a time right now."

Kylee Foster said Alexis' family has been helped by community support since the incident.

"There's been a lot of visitors who have come up to see Alexis," Foster said. "Every time I've gone up there, there's been a room full of people.

She said the support hasn't ended with just visitations.

"A lot of people have called to offer help," Kylee Foster said. "A lot of people are willing to help however they can."

Family friend Angie Abts said because neither of Alexis' parents is able to work at the present time, an account to help the family with living expenses has been established at Douglas County Bank, 1402 Church St., inside C&S Market.

Abts said Alexis' father, Philip, has been off work for the last two weeks because of a back injury. Donna is a childcare provider and is not currently working so she can be with her daughter.

Checks, made payable to the Foster Account, or cash, may be donated at any Douglas County Bank branch.

-- Lawrence Journal World staff writers also contributed to this article.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.