Eudora Unified School District No. 491 Board of Education agenda
EUDORA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 491 BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING
EUDORA DE SOTO TECHNICAL EDUCATION CENTER
CULINARY ARTS CLASSROOM
10 E. 10TH STREET
EUDORA, KANSAS 66025
November 16, 2006
- Call the regularly scheduled meeting of the Board to order at 7 p.m., noting a quorum, establishing the agenda, and recognizing visitors.
CONSENT ITEMS - 7:05 p.m.
1. Bills, claims and financial reports
2. October 12, 2006, Board of Education regular board meeting minutes
3. Staffing report for 2006-2007 school term:
a. Terminate the employment of Ms. Brenda Bowman, food and nutrition services worker at Eudora High School effective Oct. 10, 2006
b. Letter of resignation from Ms. Cynthia Daniels, food and nutrition services worker at Nottingham Elementary School effective Oct. 6, 2006
c. Employ Ms. Lauren Kracl as assistant 9-12 girls basketball coach
d. Employ Ms. Jessica Schaefer as ESOL aid (8.0 hours a day) for the district beginning Jan. 3, 2007
e. Employ Mr. Erik Peltzman as assistant 9-12 wrestling coach
4. Request by Mr. Jim Lauer, Nottingham Elementary School principal, to give Ms. April Hart, second-grade instructor, $2,000 additional compensation for expenses to relocate per the negotiated agreement
5. Resolution 06-8 Destruction of records
PUBLIC COMMENT - 7:10 p.m.
COMMUNICATIONS AND ADMINISTRATIVE REPORTS (CAR) - 7:15 p.m.
1. FFA conference powerpoint presentation by Ms. Kristy Taylor, agriculture instrutor, and students
2. Superintedent report by Mr. Marty Kobza
a. November 24, 2006 (permission to close district office and buildings)
3. Curriculum report by Mr. Don Grosdidier, assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction
BOARD REPORTS - 7:35 p.m.
1. Report from special education coop board meeting
2. Report from city of Eudora planning commission meeting
3. Report from KASB regional 1 meeting
4. Report from technology + learning conference
5. Discuss "The Board" pamphlet
a. "Conditions that Lead to Great Board-Superintendent Relationships"
OLD BUSINESS - 7:45 p.m.
1. Update on Community Advisory Committee
2. Discuss patron research survey for the 2007 bond election
3. Special board meeting on Dec. 7, 2006, at 6 p.m., to meet with Mr. Ken DeSieghardt of DeSieghardt Strategic Communications, LLC regarding the patron survey and then receive training on BoardDocs at Eudora Middle School library
4. Update on Morgan Hunter regarding certified substitutes
NEW BUSINESS - 8:25 p.m.
1. Requests to use district facilities:
a. Veritas Christian School to use Eudora community Learning Center gynmasium on Dec. 8, 15, 16, 2006, Jan. 6, 12, 26, 2007, and Feb. 9, 2007 for basketball games.
b. Christian Family Fellowship to use Nottingham Elementary School for church services on Sunday mornings from 8 a.m. to 12:00 noon.
2. Increase enrollment cost for Eudora De Soto Technical Education Center students for participating district from $3,800 per student to $4,200 per student
BOARD PROCEDURES - 8:45 p.m.
1. Board discussion
2. Upcoming events:
a. Nov. 13-17, 2006: American Education Week
b. Nov. 15, 2006: KASB Preparation for Negotiations Seminar in Hutchinson, Ks.
c. Dec. 1-3, 2006: KASB Convention in Wichita, Ks.
d. January 2007: School Board Recognition Month
e. Jan. 12-13, 2007: KASB Practicum in Negotiations Seminar in Topeka, Ks.
f. Jan. 17, 2007: KASB Student Discipline Seminar in Topeka, Ks.
g. Jan. 23, 2007: School Board Filing Deadline
h. Feb. 5-9, 2007: National School Counseling Week
i. Feb. 7, 2007: KASB Chief Negotiator's Seminar in Topeka, Ks.
j. Feb. 14-15, 2007, KASB Governmental Relations Seminar in Topeka, Ks.
k. Feb. 27, 2007: School Board Primary Election
l. April 3, 2007: School Board General Election
m. April 14-17, 2007: NSBA Convention in San Francisco, Calif.
n. April 16-20, 2007: National Library Week and Public School Volunteer Week
o. May 7-11, 2007: Teacher Appreciation Week
p. May 10, 2007: KASB Spring Regions 1, 11, 13 & 15 meeting in Lawrence, Ks.
q. June 13-14, 2007: KASB School Law Seminar in Topeka, Ks.
EXECUTIVE SESSION - 8:50 p.m.
3. Acquisition of property