Archive for Thursday, September 21, 2006

Days gone by

September 21, 2006

7 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA NEWS

September 1999

The hiring of a school crossing guard went from a routine action for the Eudora City Council to a 30-minute discussion about traffic congestion at 14th and Church streets.

Councilman Rex Burkhardt agreed to draft a letter for the council requesting the county to take a look at the amount of traffic at the busy intersection.

  • Robert Foster Jr. was hired as the band director at Eudora High School. His father, Robert Foster, was the band director at Kansas University.
  • Rita Gruber became a United States citizen. A native of the Philippines, Gruber studied for a year to take the citizenship test. Her citizenship coincided with her 51st birthday.
  • Kelly Mosher was elected President of the Golden Key National Honor Society at Kansas University. She is the daughter of Tim and Linda Bonebrake.
  • Physical therapist Jay Marquette was hired by Bloom and Associates and planned to work in the Eudora and Lawrence offices.

15 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA NEWS

September 1991

Douglas County District court Judge Ralph King ruled that the Eudora Board of Education could not collect damages it incurred as a result of litigation brought against it by three district patrons.

The suit was filed in February asking the court to decide on the validity of a petition, which asked whether the school district should hold a public election to decide if general obligation bonds should be issued to finance the repair of the 1918 Eudora High School building.

  • Eudora High School homecoming royalty were queen candidates Janna Garrett, Lori Altenbernd and Jennifer Alvarez. King candidates were Terry Crawshaw, Matt Grosdidier and Adam Gabriel.
  • Eudora resident Harry Bell caught a 19-1/2 pound catfish on a rod and reel at Clinton Lake. He caught the fish using 35-pound test line and a grasshopper for bait.

The weight of the channel cat qualified Bell for a Master Angler Award from the Kansas State Wildlife Department. The fish was weighed on a produce scale at the Market Basket.

Bell was accompanied by Joe Cribbs, Eudora, at the time of the catch.

  • Residents at Eudora Nursing Center enjoyed watermelon from Roland Ohrenberg's garden. The treat was served by five young volunteers -- Mickie and Jason Coppedge, Lisa and April Dalrymple and Nancy Neis. The five also entertained residents with songs and music.

27 years ago

FROM THE TELE-NEWS

September 1979

The old Bismark Hotel at the corner of Sixth and Main streets was gutted by fire.

The James Oglesby family rented the building. They were believed to be out of town at the time of the ire. Frances Estrada owned the building.

About a dozen volunteer firefighters responded to the scene within three minutes of the alarm. It was under control in about 45 minutes.

The building sustained extensive structural damage to the interior, especially the kitchen area.

One account said Dr. A.D. Kemper built the hotel in the late 1860s. Another said it was built in the mid or late 1870s or early 80s by Anton Gufler or Anton Getker.

The original stone section was called "The Jug" and was a saloon. The frame part, on the east, was added in the 1890s.

The Bismark was operated by Tena Smith in 1900 and was popular with businessmen and professionals traveling by train or horse and buggy.

Later, it became a rooming house, then apartments, and had been a residence since the early 1920s.

  • Mr. and Mrs. George Born were honored with a surprise family potluck dinner at Centennial Park to celebrate their 45th wedding anniversary.
  • Gwen Yarnell was the drum major for the Eudora Marching Cardinals Band.
  • Cardinal football and boys' basketball cheerleaders for 1979 were juniors April Shepard, Debbie Russell and Michelle Long and senior Lisa Guy.

49 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA CENTENNIAL MAGAZINE

September 1957

The population of Eudora in 1910 was 640. In 1950 it had risen to 929. The 1957 population was more than 1,400.

  • The bank's deposits for 1956 were $1,475,365.42.
  • Belleview 4-H Club members were Paul Ross, Vernon Hadl, Lyle Kindred, George Blevins, David Weeks, Teresa Ross, Sharon Tuggle, Shirley Hadl, Judy Kindred, Betty Thoren, Shirley Zinn, Elizabeth Weeks, Marjorie Broers, Laura Lee Thoren, James Harris, Larry Wilson, Gloria Blevins, Sandra Zinn and Cindy Neis. Mrs. Louis Kindred was community leader.
  • Thirty-four of 40 participating Eudora merchants met at the Eudora Community Building to select candidates from 31 nominees for Miss Eudora Centennial.

Eudorans had placed the names freely in quart cartons designed by Mrs. Bob Wolf, co-chairman, along with her husband.

Barbara Spitzli was chosen queen. Other candidates were Deanne Wilson, Joan Rothberger, Carolyn Colman and Mary Jane Jackson.

  • Churches in the area wee Eudora Methodist Church, First Missionary Baptist Church, Captain Creek Methodist Church, Eudora Church of Christ, Holy Family Catholic Church, St. Paul Evangelical and Reformed Church, First Southern Baptist Church, Eudora Assembly of God Church, Salem Evangelical United Brethren Church, Hesper Friends church and Clearfield E.U.B. Church.
  • Members of the Eudora Lions Club were J.D. Adams, Stamey Boles, Fred Christian, Albert Colman, Keith Colman, John Crawford, Dan Davis, Charles J. Durr, Marion Everley, Don Gardner, Douglas George, Harold W. Hadle, Norman Hunt, Joe Jaimes, D.E. Kerr, John H. Kiesow, Louie McElhaney, W.C. Mercier, Robert Nusbaum, Alf T.H. Oleson, Don Rayl, Fred Rothberger, Robert E. Schaulis, Earl R. Slapar, Marvin Taylor, Albert Wichman, C.J. Williams Jr., Glen Wilson and Otis Wolfe.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.