Archive for Thursday, July 26, 2007

Days gone by

July 26, 2007

7 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA NEWS

July 2000

With more applicants for the Eudora Fire Department, Fire Chief Spencer McCabe requested $17,500 to equip the growing force. The request was granted.

  • Eudora youth Jared Pringle and Tori Tunget spent part of their summer in Hutchinson at the Future Astronaut Training Program.
  • Eudora school board members Greg Neis, Kenny Massey, Bob Rice and Marion Johnson received Level I status awards from the Kansas Association of School Boards' Boardsmanship Academy at the July 20 Board of Education meeting.
  • Brothers Jeff and Adam Gabriel tied with Dale Sample and Rod Moyer in the championship flight of the Eudora CPA golf tournament at Eagle Bend Golf Course. Both teams scored a 68.

15 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA NEWS

July 1992

  • At its regularly scheduled meeting, Activities Director Larry McPherson recommended the Eudora school board add junior high football, junior high wrestling, high school baseball and high school softball to its athletic programs.

After a lengthy discussion, the board agreed to have McPherson research the costs and student interest in the additional activities.

The board also heard a report on the proposed bond issue for a new high school facility.

The gross mill levy for a $6 million bond issue amortized over 20 years was 27.5 mills with an interest rate of 6.07 percent. With the new school finance plan, the state would pay for 39 percent of the cost of retiring the bonds and interest, leaving local taxpayers responsible for 61 percent, or about 16.83 mills.

If the bond issue passed in November, it would not go on the tax rolls until the 1993-94 school year and the district would not start receiving funds until early in 1994. At that time, the district's mill levy would be about 53.83 mills--about five mills below the levy taxpayers were paying in 1990-91, when they were taxed at 58.01 mills.

  • The Eudora City Council, after meeting in executive session for nearly an hour, gave Police Chief Bill Long permission to take applications and interview candidates for a fourth full-time police officer.

28 years ago

FROM THE TELE-NEWS

July 1979

More than 40 law enforcement officers were among the approximately 200 people paying their respects at the funeral services of Eudora Police Officer Raymond DeMint, who died of a heart attack at his home.

  • The Eudora senior girls varsity softball team won the Tri-County League championship with an 8-2 league victory over Blue Valley.

Leslie Bagby, Julie Laws and Cheryl Cawley each had one hit apiece for Eudora's only three hits in the game. Cheryl Cawley was the winning pitcher, allowing Blue Valley only one hit, while striking out eight and walking eight.

Bob Cawley and Jim Wilson coached the Dickerson Brothers team. The team ended its season with a 10-2 record in league standings and a 10-3 record overall.

Team members were Ginny Whitten, Lori Wilson, Rhonda Stanley, Cheryl Cawley, Kay Cawley, Leslie Bagby, Tammy Smith, Julie Laws, Becky Tarpy, Chris Parsons, Gwen Yarnell and Susie Rider.

Rider led the team in hitting for the season with 20; Stanley and Cheryl Cawley each had 16; Wilson and Kay Cawley, 11; Parsons and Whitten, 10; Yarnell, 6; Laws, 4; Tarpy, 3; Bagby, 2; and Smith, 1.

  • A garage, owned by Glen O. Wilson, was completely destroyed by fire.

Destroyed in the blaze, which amounted to an estimated $30,000 loss, were a pickup truck, a garden tractor, two push mowers, a concrete mixer, a roto-tiller, a floor jack and air compressor and a large amount of miscellaneous items.

Also damaged in the fire was a camper-trailer that was parked adjacent to the garage.

The cause of the blaze was under investigation.

  • The Eudora senior Babe Ruth team, coached by Bob White, closed out its season with a 6-2 win over Baldwin. Brian Snow was the winning pitcher. The team finished the season 14-16.

Pitchers' records were Snow, 5-2; David Moore, 4-1; Donnie Potts, 3-1; Galen Hall, 2-4; Mike Hanson, 0-1; and Rich Clark, 0-1.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.