Archive for Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Days Gone By

August 27, 2008

5 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA NEWS

August 2003

Since moving seventh- and eighth-graders out of the building and placing them in the former high school building the old Eudora Middle School building downtown didn't outlive its usefulness to the district.

The district managed to use public spaces and annexes as vocational and community learning centers.

Moreover, the main branch of the building - consisting mostly of classrooms - has come in handy as a storage space and as a shipping and receiving area for the district.

The band room was converted into a community learning center, and the shop and annex buildings converted to a vocational education center.

¢ The Eudora sports scene seemed to be headed towards a golden era.

Prior to 2003, the football program had its finest season in recent history. The baseball team eclipsed its record for wins in a season. And school records fell hard and fast during the track and field season.

¢ The Eudora City Council meeting didn't produce an approved city budget, but the public hearing sparked heated debate about the amount of money going into the city's fire and police departments.

Igniting controversy was budget authority to hire a second full-time firefighter and another police officer, as well as vehicles for each department and an extraction tool -- "Jaws of Life" -- for the city.

7 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA NEWS

August 1996

First day enrollment figures in the Eudora school district showed a gain of about 30 students, kindergarten through 12th grade, compared with the previous year's enrollment. Headcount for the district was 1,034.

New teachers hired included Margaret Peterson, first grade; Sara Warren, fourth grade; Megan Whitebread, sixth grade; Cynthia Crenshaw, middle school mathematics; and high school instructors Ron Abel, technology; Don Durkin, physical education; and Carolee Vincent, drama and speech.

¢ The Eudora City Council continued its stay on issuing building permits for a proposed duplex development west of the nursing center.

The moratorium was in effect for two more months, pending further study by the Planning Commission and the city attorney, and more meetings between the nursing center board of directors and the neighborhood association.

¢ The Eudora Post Office lobby was closed from 8 p.m. to 6:15 a.m. daily because of recent vandalism.

72 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS

August 1936

The 35th annual CPA Picnic came to a close after the two-day event that attracted large crowds both nights but light attendance both afternoons on account of the extremely hot weather.

It was estimated 2,500 people were on hand the first night and more than 3,000 the second night. It was past midnight when dancing on the big platform concluded the picnic program.

Bicycle race winners: boys ages 7 to 11 - Billy Underwood, first; Gene West, second; Harold Zimmerman, third; boys 12 to 16 - Edmond Johnson, first; LaVerne Guenther, second; Rolland Johnson, third; girls 8 to 15 - Mildred Zipp, first; Katherine Zimmerman, second; and Janice Guenther, third. Boys wheelbarrow race winners were Robert Trefz and Harold Zimmerman, first; James and Charles Logan, second; and LaVerne Guenther and Robert Zipp, third.

¢ A road-opening event sponsored by the Eudora Community Club was scheduled to celebrate the opening of the pavement on Highway No. 10 between Eudora and Lawrence.

¢ The Eudora Rural High School was slated to open the 1936-1937 term Sept. 7. Registration brought out 101 pupils, and the records showed that at least 10 others would be added before the opening date.

New teachers added to the faculty were Mildred Strube, commercial and music departments; Calvin Forman, mathematics and Latin; Ruth Talbert, home economics; and Gardner Sellers, physical sciences.

74 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS

August 1934

Eudora celebrated Emancipation Day in the park. a variety of speakers addressed the crowd. A dance, tennis, races and a baseball game were all on the program.

¢ Kaw Valley State Bank was given government authorization to make home repair and alteration loans. Loan amounts ranged from $100 to $2,000, depending on income.

Interest was set at five percent annually.

¢ Gilmore Nichols, Eudora, was teaching a course in music at the Douglas County Normal Institute.

¢ Arthur Gabriel identified Morton Kramer as the man who robbed the De Soto State Bank. Gabriel was an employee at the bank. About $2,400 was taken, and bank employees were kidnapped and later released four blocks away.

¢ A horse fell into a community well dug on the McIntire farm. The depth was seven feet. The horse, nor the men who coaxed it from the well, were injured.

78 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS

August 1930

C.E. Cory and William C. Mercier bought the insurance company of Adolph Lotz Jr., who had become ill. The business was moved to the Kaw Valley State Bank.

¢ A number of "fat hens" died in the area because of hot weather.

¢ Students could rent a room in Eudora for $6 a month. The rooms were one block from the high school.

¢ The barn on the Milt Douglas farm was hit by lightning. Frank Pettengill, who lived on the farm, lost his hay, feed and a harness. Ruth Pettengill's car was also destroyed.

¢ It cost the City of Eudora $975 to have a Kansas City construction company repair the town's pavement. It took 10,000 gallons of asphalt to complete the project.

The road maintainer was P.J. Neis.

92 years ago

FROM THE EUDORA WEEKLY NEWS

August 1916

Dr. O.C. Reed from Kansas City opened an office in the Robinson building in Eudora.

¢ Edna Dolisi attended school at Valparaiso, Ind.

¢ Hubert Woodard purchased the Eudora garage from Carl Beber.

¢ Charles and Will Brazil went on a land excursion in Spokane, Wash.

¢ Mrs. Gurney Hill gave a slumber party for her Sunday school class.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.